The market for linear alkylbenzene (LAB) is expected to register a CAGR of around 3% during the forecast period. Major factors driving the market studied are the rise in demand for cleaners and increased shale gas production. However, increasing focus on environmental regulations is expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- The laundry detergents industry dominated the market and is expected to grow during the forecast period, fueled by the rising penetration of washing machines in developing countries.
- The growing personal care industry in Asia-Pacific is likely to act as an opportunity in the future.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the world, with the largest consumption from the countries, such as China and India.
Key Market Trends
Laundry Detergents to Dominate the Market
- Linear alkylbenzene sulfonate (LABS) is a colorless organic compound and an intermediate chemical, used mainly for the purpose of manufacturing household and industrial cleaning agents. LABS also enjoys a good demand from the detergent industry as its basic raw material.
- The applications of LABS include heavy-duty laundry liquids, light-duty dishwashing liquids, laundry powders, etc.
- Major detergent manufacturers prefer using LABS, owing to its cost-performance ratio and versatility nature. LABS is also considered as one of the safest anionic surfactants from human health and environmental point of view.
- Countries such as India, China,etc., are the leading manufacturer of laundry detergent.
- For instance, in recent times, India is one of the largest producers of soaps and detergents, globally. Government initiatives, such as the Swachh Bharat Mission, promote health and hygiene. Such initiatives, along with growing usage of soaps and detergent, have led to the growth of the manufacturing industry, which is further boosting the demand for LABS in the country.
- Furthermore, the detergent industry of the United States includes around 630 establishments (single- and multi-location companies), with combined annual revenue of about USD 25 billion.
- In Germany the market for the soap and detergent manufacturing industry is dynamic, and the industry is known for strong product innovation, as the manufacturers compete to retain consumer interest.
- All the aforementioned factors are likely to increase the demand for linear alkylbenzene sulfonate over the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific region dominated the global market share and is likely to continue its dominance during the forecast period. With the growing personal care industry and increasing need for cleaners in countries, such as China, India, and Japan, the usage of linear alkylbenzene is increasing in the region.
- The market for the soap, washing powder and synthetic detergent industry in China has grown at an average annual rate of more than 10%, in the past six years, due to increasing awareness about hygiene and development in the liquid soap segment.
- China is becoming the largest market in terms of cosmetics and skincare products, globally. The beauty sector in the country has witnessed an average growth of over 5% in the past 10 years.
- Likewise, growing consumerism is stimulating the demand for personal care products, which, in turn, is driving the linear alkylbenzene (LAB) market in India.
- Today, India is one of the largest producers of soaps in the world. The per capita consumption of toilet/bathing soap in the country is around 800 grams. Around 65% of the Indian population resides in rural areas, and the increasing disposable incomes and growth in the rural markets are making the consumers shift to premium products.
- The aforementioned factors are contributing to the increasing demand for linear alkyl benzene (LAB) consumption in the region, during the forecast period.
The market for linear alkylbenzene is consolidated in terms of production capacity. The top five players account for more than 40% of the global market share. The major companies include Cepsa Qu’mica BŽcancour, Ho Tung chemicals, Sasol, Huntsman International LLC, and Reliance Industries Limited.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Rise in Demand for Cleaners
4.1.2 Increased Shale Gas Production to Augment the Market for LAB
4.2.1 Increasing Focus on Environmental Regulations
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Feedstock Analysis
4.5.1 Global Capacity by Key Feedstock
4.6 Technological Snapshot
4.6.1 Production Process
4.6.2 Technology Licensing and Patent Analysis
4.7 Trade Analysis
4.8 Price Index
4.9 Supply Scenario
4.9.1 Capacity and Production Analysis
4.10 Regulatory Policy Analysis
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Application
18.104.22.168 Linear Alkylbenzene Sulfonate (LAS)
5.1.2 Other Applications
5.2 By End-user Industry
5.2.1 Laundry Detergents
5.2.2 Light-duty Dishwashing Liquids
5.2.3 Industrial Cleaners
5.2.4 Household Cleaners
5.2.5 Other End-user Industries
22.214.171.124 South Korea
126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 Rest of North America
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis**
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Cepsa Quimica Becancour Inc. (Compania Espanola de Petroleos SAU)
6.4.2 Farabi Petrochemicals Co.
6.4.3 Formosan Union Chemical Corporation
6.4.4 HO TUNG CHEMICAL CORP.
6.4.5 Huntsman Corporation
6.4.6 Indian Oil Corporation Ltd
6.4.7 ISU CHEMICAL
6.4.8 Jingtung Petrochemical Corp. Ltd
6.4.9 JXTG Nippon Oil & Energy Corporation
6.4.10 NIRMA Ltd
6.4.11 Quimica Venoco
6.4.12 Reliance Industries Limited
6.4.13 SBK HOLDING
6.4.15 Tamilnadu Petroproducts Ltd
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growing Personal Care Industry in Asia-Pacific
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.