The metal finishing market is expected to register a CAGR of around 6% during the forecast period. The factors driving the growth of the market studied are increasing demand for durable, wear-resistant, and long-lasting metal products and increasing demand for electric vehicles in the Asia-Pacific region. On the flipside, environmental restrictions on some metal finishing chemicals, and replacement of metal by high-performance plastics are somehow, going to hinder the market growth.
- By type, the inorganic metal finishing segment dominated the market, and it is expected to grow during the forecast period. Among various inorganic metal finishing types, electroplating is expected to witness the highest growth during the forecast period.
- The shift from traditional solvent-borne technologies to newer technologies is likely to provide opportunities for the market, during the forecast period.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the global market, with robust demand from end-user industries, such as automotive, construction, electronics, and hardware.
Key Market Trends
Automotive Segment to Dominate the Market
- Among applications, the automotive industry dominated the demand for metal finishes. Metal finishing is one of the prominent methods used to provide a protective layer on the metal components of vehicles.
- Metal finishing is used in various vehicle parts, such as engines, other under-the-hood components, power steering systems, brake parts and systems, air conditioning components and systems, chassis hardware, climate control components, and fuel systems.
- Metal finishing also includes the application of paints or ceramics. Numerous small and large parts of the automobile require their contact surfaces to be smooth, stress relieved, and without burrs or defects. This enables the automotive engines to achieve a surface with less friction and heat, leading to the generation of more horsepower and overall better performance.
- Few countries, such as India, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand registered strong growth; however, growth in these countries could not uplift the overall automotive production market in 2018. The situation in 2019 seems dire with sales declining further in major countries of Europe and China, which too will lead to declining automotive production.
- The market, however, has the potential for growth in the long term with the emergence of more technologically developed cars. If such a thing happens, the market for metal finishing will benefit from it.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the market. The increasing investments and production in the automotive industry, rising electrical and electronics production, and surging demand for heavy equipment, with multinational companies investing in the industrial sector, are some of the major factors driving the demand for metal finishing in the region.
- China is the largest manufacturer of automobiles in the world. The automotive sector in China has been shaping up for product evolution, with the country focusing on manufacturing products, to ensure fuel economy and minimize emissions, owing to the increasing environmental concerns due to mounting pollution in the country.
- However, the market witnessed a shrink in 2018, as the production decreased by 4.2%. It was also the first time that the market witnessed a drop in sales, after nearly 20 years of growth.
- China’s residential housing sector is witnessing a slump. Around 22% of the country’s urban house stocking was empty, as of late 2018. These include unsold properties and apartments brought by entrepreneurs and speculators, who have no intention of living in them but to hold them as an investment property.
- The Japanese metal finishing market is primarily driven by the increased usage in the aerospace sector, which increased significantly in the last few years due to the advancements in technology and R&D supported by the government.
- The Japanese aerospace industry manufactures aircraft components for commercial and defense aircraft. The production of commercial aircraft has been increasing over the past couple of years, owing to the increasing cargo demands.
- Japan focuses on manufacturing the F-35A next-generation fighter jet and other military aircraft, as well as strengthening the foundation of the aerospace manufacturing in the country.
- Hence, all such favorable trends and investments in the region are expected to drive the demand for metal finishing market during the forecast period.
The global metal finishing market was highly fragmented as the top five players in the market contributed less than 5% to the global market share. The key players inlcude OC Oerlikon Management AG, Linde (Praxair Inc.), C.Uyemura & CO.,LTD., Sequa (The Carlyle Group), and Honeywell International Inc, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Automotive Production in Africa and Brazil
4.1.2 Increasing Requirement for Durable, Wear-resistant, and Long-lasting Metal Products
4.2.1 Environmental Restrictions on Some Chemicals
4.2.2 Increasing Replacement of Metal by Plastics
4.3 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Inorganic Metal Finishing
18.104.22.168 Pretreatment/Surface Preparation
22.214.171.124 Consumables and Spares
126.96.36.199 Electro Less Plating
188.8.131.52 Conversion Coatings
184.108.40.206 Thermal Spray Powder Coating
220.127.116.11 Electro Polishing
5.1.2 Organic Metal Finishing
5.1.3 Hybrid Metal Finishing
5.2.6 Heavy Equipment
5.2.7 Medical Devices
5.2.10 Other Applications
18.104.22.168 South Korea
22.214.171.124 ASEAN Countries
126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 Rest of North America
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 A.E. Aubin Company
6.4.3 C.Uyemura & Co.,Ltd.
6.4.4 Grind Master
6.4.5 Guyson Corporation
6.4.6 Honeywell International Inc.
6.4.7 Linde plc
6.4.8 Luster-On Products, Inc.
6.4.9 Mass Finishing Incorporated
6.4.10 OC Oerlikon Management AG
6.4.12 OTEC Precision Finish, Inc.
6.4.13 Plating Equipment Ltd
6.4.15 Sequa (The Carlyle Group)
6.4.16 TIB Chemicals AG
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Shift from Traditional Solvent-borne Technologies to Newer Technologies
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.