The ÊNeuromorphic Chip Market was valued at USD 111.04 million in 2019Êand is expected to reach USD 366.14 million by 2025, at a CAGR of 22% over the forecast period 2020Ê- 2025. Keeping the pace of advancement of disruptive technologies such as Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML), various embedded system providers are keen to develop brain chips, where not only the chips will be processed fast, but will have also responses like human brains for those systems to think and act in a human way. Data analytics, internet of things, and smart sensors are considered as major applications for the neuromorphic chip market, as these chips are embedded into hardware used for image recognition, data mining, etc.
- Currently, neuromorphic vendors aim to design advanced system-on-chip (SoC) that provide an interface between sensors and algorithms; which eventually results in optimally converted data spikes and spiking neural networks (SNNs). A product like ÔAkida NSoCÕ from BrainChip Holdings Ltd. has 1.2 million neurons and 10 billion synapses.
- Big chip players including Intel Corporation, Qualcomm Incorporated, BrainChip Holdings Ltd., HRL Laboratories LLC, IBM Corporation and many others are developing neuromorphic chips to cut short processing speed through self decision making abilities by the chips.
Scope of the Report
Neuromorphic chips are digitally processed analog chips with a series of networks as similar to human brain networks. These chips contain millions of neurons and synapses to augment self intelligence, irrespective of pre-installed codes in normal chips. As a special kind of chips, these are highly capable of manipulating data received through sensors.
Key Market Trends
Automotive is the Fastest Growing Industry to Adapt Neuromorphic Chip
- Automotive industry is one of the fastest-growing industry for neuromorphic chips. All premium car makers are investing heavily to achieve L5 level of autonomous technology; which in turn is anticipated to generate huge demand for AI-powered neuromorphic chips.
- Due to the complexity of roadway data integration, carsÕ automated systems need more AI than aircrafts. According to Victoria Transport Policy Institute, by 2030, 20%-40% of the automated vehicles will be available in moderate to premium price category, which means more volume of integrated neuromorphic chips will be sold by the AI chip manufacturers.
- Advanced driver assisted system (ADAS) and autonomous vehicle (AV) applications are the two primary areas where neuromorphic chip manufacturers are eyeing to enhance their market reach. Recently, in October 2017, BrainChip Holdings Ltd. supplied neuromorphic chip to one of the top automobile company in Germany to test their ADAS capability.
North America Expected to Hold Major Share over the Forecast Period
- North America is currently one of the major market share holder for neuromorphic chips with presence of top vendors in the U.S. Latest technological breakthroughs have assisted the advancement of new X-ray tubes that can make the overall process more efficient and can significantly improve accuracy in various applications.
- There have been a series of new product launches, mergers, and acquisitions in North America to take the advantage of this opportunity. The major driver behind the investments has been the continuous evolution and application of new technologies to unlock enormous volumes that were previously considered non-commercial. With these series of investments, North America are set to boom over the forecast period.
As the market for neuromorphic chips is very niche and in the initial phase of development, the market is shared by a few players such as BrainChip Holdings Ltd., Intel Corporation, Qualcomm Technologies Inc. and some others. In this consolidated market scenario, top players are growing intensely through various market development strategies such as collaboration, market expansion, product innovation, and research & development activities. Some of the current strategies adopted by these players are:
- March 2019: Qualcomm launched a new system on chip (SoC) integrated with AI to enhance smart audio and IoT applications. This AI enabled SoC will provide seamless voice assistance and other connectivity applications through power-optimized chip architecture. This new product innovation is anticipated to augment the market growth for the neuromorphic chip market in the coming years.
- September 2017: IntelÕs new self-learning chip promises to accelerate Artificial Intelligence. Intel introduced first-of-its-kind self-learning chip, codenamed Loihi. The Loihi research test chip includes digital circuits that mimic the brainÕs basic mechanics, making machine learning faster and more efficient while requiring lower computing power.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Surge in Growth Plan for Autonomous Vehicle Among Premium Automotive OEMs
4.2.2 Growth in Demand for Smart Sensors
4.2.3 Increase in Demand for AI powered Chips
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Complexity in Hardware Design and Precision
4.3.2 High Initial Investment
4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Application
5.1.1 Image Recognition
5.1.2 Signal Processing
5.1.3 Data Processing
5.1.4 Other Applications
5.2 By End Users
5.2.1 Aerospace and Defence
5.2.3 Industrial Automation
5.2.5 Consumer Electronics and Others
5.3.1 North America
5.3.4 Rest of the World (RoW)
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 aiCTX AG
6.1.2 BrainChip Holdings Ltd.
6.1.3 General Vision Inc.
6.1.4 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Development LP
6.1.5 IBM Corporation
6.1.6 Intel Corporation
6.1.7 Qualcomm Technologies Inc.
6.1.8 Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. (Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology)
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.