The food packaging market is expected to register a CAGR of over 6% over the forecast period (2020 - 2025). Automation technologies are used widely in the processing industries. Food processing is highly monotonous and repetitive in nature. Automation of these tasks enhances product quality, process efficiency, and saves labor charges as well.
- The growth in overall automation levels is allowing processing and packaging plants to introduce new products on the same assembly lines. Moreover, one out of five packaging and processing plants already deal with more than 100 product types, with a majority expecting that number to increase in the next few years.
- Technological enhancements in the automation industry and the stringent food safety regulations regarding food hygiene are boosting the market's growth positively.
- Changes in the consumer demands towards preferring fast, affordable, and easily accessible food options has led to the transformation in the food & beverages industry, with vendors leveraging automation technologies to scale operations and help companies stay relevant in the dynamic market environment.
- Furthermore, increasing demand for advanced automated systems such as robotics will boost the growth of the market over the forecast period. For instance, According to a survey from the Association for Packaging and Processing Technologies, 94% of food packaging operations are using robotics already. As for food processing, approximately a third of companies are using robotics.
Scope of the Report
The automation in the food industry simplifies food packaging process, which includes food sorting & grading, packing, and managing processes. The automation acts as an effective solution for enterprises requiring an efficient solution for overcoming numerous challenges such as enhancing productivity, improving yield, optimizing resource management, mitigating security risks, and improving asset management.
Key Market Trends
Motors & Generators Type is Expected to Hold the Significant Share
- The motors used in the food and beverage industry have demanding requirements in segments such as meat, dairy and baking goods, poultry and fish, as well as within applications such as mixers, grinders, and conveyors. It is also necessary that machines operate without fault, for longer and at the highest possible level of energy efficiency throughout their lifespan.
- The growing significance of motors in motion control applications involving high-pressure wash-down and high torque applications with precise motion control has greatly improved their functionality. Generators ensure smooth and efficient functioning of systems in the food industry.
- A company such as ABB Ltd. provide motors which help to run food and beverage applications, from raw material handling to processing and conveying, to packing and storage, without compromising on the standards demanded in the industry.
Asia-Pacific is Expected to Witness Highest Growth Rate
- Asia-Pacific is anticipated to witness the highest growth rate owing to the high growth of the Food & Beverage industry in the region. The region is witnessing tremendous growth for the food and beverage industry due to an increase in health awareness, disposable income, and urbanization. Due to this, many players of F&B are moving from manual to automation processing to increase the output and develop new products, which ultimately drives the growth of the market.
- For instance, according to the World Bank, the urbanization rate in China increased to 57.90% in the year 2017 from 51.89% in 2012. This has resulted in a growing demand for food and beverages and made China one of the largest food and beverage industry in the world.
- Similarly, in India allocation of the Ministry of Food Processing has been doubled from INR 715 crore in 2017-18 to INR 1400 crore in 2018-19.
- Moreover, a rising number of manufacturers operating in the F&B industry is anticipated to boost the market's growth positively over the forecast period. Growing adoption of automated technologies in production facilities also fuels the regional food automation market.
The food automation market is moderately competitive as the major manufacturers operating in the market compete for improving and retaining their market share. After sales service is an important strategy to gain an advantage over the competitors. The industry players are competing on the basis of price, distribution, promotion, service quality, innovation, and reputation. Mergers & acquisitions, partnerships, and technological innovations are some of the primary strategies adopted by these companies to ensure long-term growth.
- February 2019 - Emerson announced that it has completed the purchase of Intelligent Platforms from General Electric. The addition of Intelligent Platforms programmable logic controller technologies will enable Emerson, one of the leaders in automation for process and industrial customers, to expand its capabilities in machine control and discrete applications. With this expansion, the company is growing opportunities across process and discrete industries as well as hybrid markets such as metals and mining, food and beverage, life sciences, and packaging.
- July 2018 - Rockwell Automation and PTC, Inc. announced that they have entered into a strategic partnership that is expected to accelerate growth for both the companies and enable them to be the partner of choice for customers who want to transform their physical operations with digital technology.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
4.3 Market Drivers
4.3.1 Stringent Food Safety Regulations
4.3.2 Technological Enhancements in the Automation Industry
4.4 Market Restraints
4.4.1 High Initial Capital Investments
4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Product Type
5.1.1 Motors & Generators
5.1.2 Motor Controls
5.1.3 Rotary & Linear Products
5.1.4 Discrete Controller Systems & Visualization
5.1.5 Other Product Types
5.2 By Function
5.2.2 Packaging & Re-Packaging
5.2.3 Sorting & Grading
5.2.5 Picking & Placing
5.2.6 Other Functions
5.3 By Application
5.3.4 Meat, Poultry, and Seafood
5.3.5 Fruits & Vegetables
5.3.7 Other Applications
5.4.1 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.4 Rest of the World
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 ABB Ltd.
6.1.2 Rockwell Automation Inc.
6.1.3 GEA Group AG
6.1.4 Siemens AG
6.1.5 Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
6.1.6 Schneider Electric SE
6.1.7 Emerson Electric Co.
6.1.8 Yaskawa Electric Corporation
6.1.9 Yokogawa Electric Corporation
6.1.10 NORD Drivesystems
6.1.11 Rexnord Corporation
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.