The market for smart fabrics for transportation was valued at USD 0.61 billion in 2020 and expected to reach USD 2.46 billion by 2026 and grow at a CAGR of 24.9% over the forecast period (2021 - 2026). The technological advancement in the electronics industry has changed the way we do and perceive things. The Internet of Things has connected everything. Smart fabrics are an important part of this technological advancement and may play a very crucial role in the future, with applications in the transportation industry.
- With the miniaturization of electronic components, coupled with the emergence of advanced polymers, is driving the market forward. The use of fabrics in automobiles is not only restricted to the upholstery, but they are also used in floor mats, the interior ceiling, seat belt webbings, interior door panels, steering wheel, and gear shift covers.
- Fabrics are not only meant only for the outward surfaces, which are visible to the eye but are also used in making of insulation for thermal control, inside the vehicle. The versatile nature of these fabrics has made them a key component of automobiles, which is driving the market forward.
- With the development of fabrics with antistatic properties, tremendous stain proof capabilities and the ability of fabrics to interact with the environment, which helps in the regulation of temperature, are also offered. These properties of smart fabrics have enabled their use in automotive vehicles.
Key Market Trends
Mobility Management to Witness Significant Growth
- Mobility management in transportation comprises all the systems that allow a driver to reach their destination safely and quickly, with optimal fuel consumption, by deploying smart fabrics into the vehicle, which can enhance the vehicle features.
- With the help of these smart fabric-sensing systems installed in the interior cabins, autonomous vehicles can access real-time traffic information through their onboard navigation systems, and re-route the vehicle to a better route, to avoid traffic jams. They can also provide information on parking lots and refueling stations, which can save travel time.
- Over the next few years, due to the technological advancements in IoT, drivers would be able to access highway warnings and messages to avoid accidents. Real-time data analytics is capable of utilizing the IoT and Big Data capabilities, to enhance mobility systems and ensure concentrated device uptime. Ultimately, this can reduce costs associated with vehicle management and can benefit the transportation industry.
- With the increasing penetration of autonomous vehicles, the demand for smart fabrics may also witness an increase, driving the market forward.
North America Occupies the Largest Market Share
- The North American region occupies the largest market share, owing to the technological advancements and increasing technological penetration among users, and increasing demand from end-user segments, such as aerospace, automobiles, shipping, and railways, which are the primary growth driver for the smart fabrics for the transportation market, in this region.
- Furthermore, major players in this region have launched many efficient and highly advanced products as compared to older products, to deliver the prevailing services.
- Furthermore, with the emergence of information technology and increased usage of IoT devices in automotive applications, have added a new dimension in the manner of conducting business operations in this region. Also, with the deployment of smarter fabrics functional systems, based on IoT techniques, it is helping the transportation industry in establishing and maintaining an operational process, which is directly boosting the market studied.
The smart fabric for transportation market is competitive, owing to the presence of many vendors running their business, in domestic, as well as international boundaries. The market appears to be moderately concentrated, moving toward the fragmented stage. Key strategies adopted by the major players are product innovation and product design. Some of the major players in the market are AIQ Smart Clothing Inc., Kolon Glotech Inc., Interactive Wear AG, among others.
- April 2019 - DuPont Transportation and Advanced Polymers opened its new aerospace technology center at the DuPont Vespel manufacturing site, in Valley View, Ohio. The new technology center showcased technology advancements that support current and future aerospace designs, with products for wear, friction, and sealing applications
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
4.3 Market Drivers
4.3.1 Increasing Number of Connected Cars and Heavy Vehicles
4.3.2 Miniaturization of Electronic Components
4.3.3 Increasing Safety and Security Concerns in Transportation
4.4 Market Restraints
4.4.1 Slow Penetration Rate in Developing Countries
4.4.2 Lack of Funding and Capital Expenditure
4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Component
5.1.1 Automobile Interior Carpets
5.1.2 Automotive Airbags
5.1.3 Seat Belt Webbings
5.1.4 Heated Seats
5.1.5 Nylon Tire Cord Fabrics
5.2 By Material
5.2.1 Color Changing Material (Photo Chromic Material and Thermo Chromic Material)
5.2.2 Light Emitting Materials (Electroluminescent Materials, Fluorescent Material, Phosphorescent Material, and Light Emitting Diodes (LED))
5.2.3 Moving Materials (Conducting Polymers, Piezoelectric Material, Polymer Gel, and Shape Memory Alloys (SMA))
5.2.4 Temperature Changing Material (Thermoelectric material)
5.3 By Application
5.3.1 Mobility Management
5.3.2 Vehicle Management
5.3.3 Safety and Security
5.3.4 Passenger Information System
5.4 By End-user Industry
5.5.1 North America
5.5.4 Latin America
5.5.5 Middle East & Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 AIQ Smart Clothing Inc.
6.1.2 EI Du Pont De Nemours and Company
6.1.3 Texas Instruments
6.1.4 Kolon Glotech Inc.
6.1.5 Interactive Wear AG
6.1.7 Schoeller Textil AG
6.1.8 Sensoria Inc.
6.1.9 Textronics Inc.
6.1.10 Infineon Technologies
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.