The pico projector market was valued at USD 3374.8 Million in 2020, and is expected to reach USD 6239.39 Million in 2026, registering a CAGR of about 10.9% during the forecast period (2021 - 2026). Due to an increase in the adoption of minimalization, the projectors have been witnessing technological advancements, resulting in the reduction of their sizes. These factors made it possible for professionals to project their data and video anywhere on the go.
- Evolving laser technology is expected to transform the global projector market by reducing the size of the projectors to ones that fit in hands. These projectors can also be embedded in small hand-held devices and accessories, like tablets, cameras, personal digital assistants, laptops, and smartphones.
- Pico projectors have applications in various industries. In the defense and aerospace industries, a pico projector can assist the armed forces with a 3D projection of the real-time location of enemy deployments, bunker locations, and plot charts of the sea- or land-based enemies, when integrated with devices, such as HUDs.
- Moreover, with the rapid advancements in display technologies, such as 4K and 8K display panels, the image quality of the pico projectors is also expected to be upgraded. This factor is expected to augment the growth of the market. Recently, AAXA Technologies launched the 4K1, a true native 4K UHD Mini LED projector that employs premium Osram quad-cast solid-state LEDs. With a 30,000-hour LED light source, the 4K1 can operate for eight hours per day for more than ten years, without the requirement for a change in the lamp.
- The sale of electronics is expected to be impacted significantly by the COVID-19 outbreak, as China is one of the major suppliers for the raw materials as well as the finished products. The industry is facing a reduction in production, disruption in the supply chain, and price fluctuations. The sales of prominent electronic companies are expected to be affected in the near future, which will, in turn, affect the pico projector market.
Key Market Trends
Technology Evolution to Drive the Market
- The major driving factor that boosts the growth of the digital light processing chipset is the sealed imaging chip and filter-free chips. Most of the digital light processing projectors have DLP chips, eliminating the chances of dust particles to enter into the projected image. Additionally, the DLP chips operate without air filters, thus reducing the maintenance, since there is no need to clean the filter.
- Due to the new DLP chip applications, such as LED pico projectors, that fit in the palm of a human hand and have the size of the mobile phone is expected to contribute toward the growth of the digital light processing chipset market.
- Digital light processing (DLP) uses a chip made of tiny microscopic mirrors and a spinning color wheel to create an image. This is a type of chip that is structured so that every pixel is a reflective mirror, which means anywhere from one to two (or more) million micromirrors are on each DMD, depending on the intended display resolution and how the mirror tilt speed is controlled. DLP type of projectors delivers sharp images, which do not require any filters and also offer better response time as well as 3D capabilities.
North America Occupies the Largest Market Share
- North America is one of the early adopters in terms of technology and innovations. The region has been experiencing high growth in its expenditure on consumer electronics. Due to its small design and advanced interface connectivity with Wi-Fi and HDMI, the sales of pico projectors are increasing widely in the United States and Canada.
- Moreover, the anticipated release of new applications of this technology, particularly in the field of life sciences, intelligent traffic systems, and vision-guided robotics, is expected to boost the demand for pico projectors in the region. Vast IT infrastructure in the region has boosted the market and has enhanced the vital characteristics of these projectors, like mobility and portability.
- The semiconductor companies in the region are actively seeking growth opportunities by expanding its DLP portfolio for pico projectors. Recently, Texas Instruments released its new 4K UHD DLP chipsets - DLP470TE and DLP470TP of size 17 x 24.5 mm supporting brightness levels up to 1,500 lumens with 4K resolution.
The pico projector market appears to be moderately concentrated, with major players adopting strategies, like product innovation and mergers and acquisitions. Some of the major players in the market are Sony Corporation, Koninklijke Philips NV, LG Electronics Inc. Some of the recent developments in the market are:
- June 2019 - Phillips launched two new DLP based projectors - PicoPix Nano and PicoPix Micro. Designed to be the smallest so far, the projectors are upgraded with brighter colors and Lumen.
- November 2019 - Miroir USA launched SYNQ, its newest portable home projector that features Plug and Play with streaming devices, including Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, and Roku.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increasing Application in Consumer Electronics
5.1.2 Development of Pico Projectors with Superior Specification
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Safety Issues with Laser Beams Projector and Low Brightness
5.3 Assessment of Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry
6 TECHNOLOGY SNAPSHOT
6.1 By Technology
6.1.1 Digital Light Processing
6.1.2 Liquid Crystal on Silicon
6.1.3 Laser Beam Steering
6.1.4 Holographic Laser Projection
6.2 By Product Type
6.2.1 USB Pico Projector
6.2.2 Embedded Pico Projector
6.2.3 Media Player Pico Projector
6.2.4 Stand-alone Pico Projector
7 MARKET SEGMENTATION
7.1.1 North America
7.1.4 Rest of the World
8 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
8.1 Company Profiles
8.1.1 Aaxa Technologies Inc.
8.1.2 Acer Inc.
8.1.3 Aiptek International Inc.
8.1.4 Coretronic Corporation
8.1.5 Sony Corporation
8.1.6 Cannon Inc.
8.1.7 Koninklijke Philips NV
8.1.8 LG Electronics Inc.
8.1.9 Samsung Group
8.1.10 Miroir USA
9 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
10 FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.