The mobile devices user authentication services market is expected to reach USD 4.7 billion in 2026 from USD 1.36 billion in 2020, witnessing a CAGR of 23%, during the forecast period (2021 - 2026). According to an IBM study, users are three times more likely to respond to a phishing attack on a mobile device than a desktop, simply because a phone is where people are most likely to first see a message.
- According to the IBM Data Breach study (2018), the global average cost of a data breach is up by 6.4 % in 2018 over the USD 3.86 million in2017. To prevent any loss of sensitive data, awareness about user authentication is increasing. This creates a positive outlook for mobile devices user authentication services market because the penetration of smartphones is growing exponentially.
- Moreover, the enhancement in IT infrastructure, increasing cyber-attacks, which is a serious concern for the enterprises, and surge in the expenditure for safety and security for private and confidential data have further increased the demand for mobile devices user authentication services market.
- However, due to a lack of awareness when it comes to authentication and security of their devices among the user and high cost involved with matured authentication methods acting as key impediments to the growth of the market.
Key Market Trends
Biometrics / Multi-Factor Authentication is Expected to Have Significant Share
- According to a study by ManpowerGroup, the millennials are more likely to enable multi-factor authentication in the wake of a breach (32 % versus 28 % of the general population). And, 75 % of millennials were comfortable using biometrics today, compared to 58 % of those over age 55. This could be an indication that younger adults are putting less care into traditional password but are more likely to layer access with multifactor authentication, use biometrics for speed and convenience.
- Further, according to IBM the average cost for each lost or stolen record containing sensitive and confidential information also increased by 4.8 % year over year to USD148 in 2018. When risk levels rise, the additional authentication checkpoints are triggered, such as letting users toggle between a mobile push notification that invokes fingerprint readers on their phone and a one-time passcode.
- Moreover, North American and Europe are the regions that adopt the latest technology faster and the adoption of BYOD is also growing with the increasing threat of high profile cyber-attacks among business enterprises in these regions. Additionally increasing usage of mobile devices across BFSI, media & entertainment and government sectors in these regions create a huge market opportunity for the biometrics authentication services market. Thus, it can be inferred that since these two regions are adopting biometrics authentication, other regions will also adopt this technology in the timeframe studied.
Asia- Pacific to Witness Fastest Growth
- In Asia-pacific, great strides are being made in the digital economy. But it is also causing more threat-related opportunities. According to Cisco, companies receive 6 threats every minute in APAC and 51% of all cyber attacks resulted in a loss of more than USD 1 million. Thus the need for user authentications is growing which in result will create a market for mobile devices user authentication services market because of the increasing trend of BYOD and the increasing penetration of smartphones in the region.
- The growing penetration of the internet and shift toward digitization of the internal processes have been instrumental in driving the adoption of cloud-based services. Alongside the digital transformation in the region, owing to ineffective cyber laws and lack of cybersecurity awareness, companies in Asia-Pacific have been found to be 80% more likely to be targeted by hackers as compared to other regions.
- Owing to this, governments across countries in the region have taken several measures to promote data security. For instance, in India, the need for data masking is strongly supported by the government. In July 2018, "Personal Data Protection Bill, 2018" was released that notes that the right to privacy is a fundamental right.
- Therefore, all the above factors are expected to help the mobile devices user authentication services market to grow in this region during the forecast period.
The mobile devices user authentication services market is fragmented. It is a highly competitive market with a number of players and no dominant player present. The major players in this market follow the strategy of strategic partnership, mergers or acquisitions of various local players, and product innovation to gain a competitive edge in the market. Some of the key players are CA Technologies ( Broadcom Inc), Gemalto NV, and Microsoft Corporation, etc. Some of the recent developments in this market are :
- May 2019 - FIDO Alliance announced that Microsoft achieved FIDO2 certification for Windows Hello. Microsoft has made FIDO Authentication a fundamental component in its efforts to provide users a seamless, password-free login experience.
- May 2019 - Truxtun Capital released broadly available FIDO Certified, a multi-factor strong authentication payment solution for consumers in the payment industry. It provided customers with mobile, virtual and physical card products in a simple user experience where the customer takes control of their own digital identity and security profile on a mobile phone while activating security credentials.
- March 2019 - Gemalto NV acquired Green Bit S.p.A., in order to offer its biometric scanners as part of the complete automated fingerprint identification system (AFIS) offerings.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
4.3 Market Drivers
4.3.1 Growing adoption of Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Solutions
4.3.2 Growing Demand for Internet of Things (IoT)
4.4 Market Restraints
4.4.1 Lack of Awareness Related to Authentication and Security of the Devices
4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Authentication Type
5.1.1 Two-Factor Authentication
5.1.2 Biometrics / Multi-Factor Authentication
5.1.4 Soft Tokens
5.1.5 Other Types
5.2 By Enterprise Size
5.2.2 Large Enterprises
5.3 By End-user Vertical
5.3.2 Consumer Electronics
5.3.7 Other End-user Verticals
5.4.1 North America
5.4.4 Latin America
5.4.5 Middle East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Symantec Corporation
6.1.2 Aware Inc
6.1.3 CA Technologies (Broadcom Inc.)
6.1.4 RSA Security LLC (Dell Technologies)
6.1.5 OneSpan Inc.
6.1.6 Duo Security (Cisco Systems Inc.)
6.1.7 Nexus Group
6.1.8 Entrust Datacard Corporation
6.1.9 SecurEnvoy (Shearwater Group PLC Company)
6.1.10 Gemalto NV (Thales Group)
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.