The Beer Cans Market witnessed a shipment of approximately 90.2 million units of beer cans globally in 2020 and is estimated to reach to 110.9 million units by 2026, registering a CAGR of 3.6% for the forecast period (2021-2026). Packaging has been the most critical factor, which has played an essential role in the widespread consumption of beer around the world. Beer is packaged in cans and glass for retail and commercial purposes, and in kegs for only business purposes.
- There have been some minor changes in the materials used in the mentioned packaging methods. The industry might not have seen much innovation in the last few years, but customer preferences have changed considerably. Also, the changing lifestyle, increasing home-grown breweries, and increasing affordability across the world have had a great impact on the beer packaging, in terms of prices, design, weight, etc.
- According to the U.S. Beer Institute Annual Report, 2018, the US beer industry sells more than USD 119.3 billion in beer and malt-based beverages to US consumers each year. Additionally, according to the NBWA Industry Affairs, 2019, the US consumers who are 21 years and older consumed 26.5 gallons of beer and cider per person, during 2018, based upon beer shipment data and the US Census population statistics. Such instances are indicative of the fact that the beer cans market is poised to grow over the forecast period.
- Recreational and environmental benefits drive the beer can market. Cans are permitted in many places where bottles are typically not allowed, such as beaches, pools, parks, campgrounds, ballparks, golf courses, boats, etc. Moreover cans are 100-percent recyclable, and they can be recycled indefinitely. Also cans are much lighter than bottles, requiring less fuel to ship them whether empty or filled.
- In May 2019, Aluminum Beverages Can Association of India, which is an industry body consisting players like the Birla-owned Hindalco, announced that it would encourage the regulators to increase the use of metal cans instead of bottles to store and sell beer in more eco-friend way. However, this is expected to increase the cost of the final product by at least 20%.
- The preference of consumer for wine might act as a challenge to market due to the increasing affordability of wine and liquor products and this shift is expected to continue, making more consumers shift towards these commodities.
Key Market Trends
Aluminium is Expected to Hold the Largest Market Share
- With the increasing production of craft beer, the demand for canned aluminum beer is increasing and according to the Brewers Association, the number of breweries in the United States has grown to approximately 8,386 and many of those breweries are moving to aluminum because it’s cheaper, has better shielding properties for beer, and has a smaller environmental footprint.
- Presently, 12-ounce is still the predominant size on the market, but the 16-ounce has shown some tremendous growth throughout the last few years in the aluminium can segment.
- Alcon launches BRAUS craft beer in cans and has partnered with Ball Corporation. Beer in cans grew 7% in Russia (2017-2018) and following the popularity of convenient and stylish aluminum cans in the Russian market, BRAUS adds to 35% of new beer and cider launches in cans year to date.
- Aluminum cans have a higher global recycling rate at 69%, according to Resource Recycling Systems, while aluminum cans in the United States contain 68% recycled content compared to 3% for plastic bottles, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This will enhance high rate of usage of aluminium can for craft beers.
- With the increasing consumption of craft beer across various regions, the beer cans market is witnessing a positive growth. Consumers are increasingly preferring craft beer brewed by both small and big breweries. Also, consumers are becoming increasingly clear on the fact that they want products that fit their lifestyle. According to Brewers Associaton, in the United States, the production of Craft Beers in 2019 was 34.6 million barrels as compared to 2018 having 32 million barrels. With increasing production of craft beers, the supply of cans especially aluminium cans will increase effectively.
Asia-Pacific Account for Significant Market Growth
- The Asia-Pacific beer cans market is primarily driven by changing cultural trends, the expanding population, growing urbanization, and the rising popularity of beer among the younger population.
- In this region, consumers are increasingly shifting toward gluten-free beers, which are made of millet, barley malt, corn, potato, rice, soybean, and sorghum. Also, beer consumption is growing at over 6 percent per annum in China, India, and Vietnam. Hence, the growing innovation in flavors and preparations is likely to drive the demand for beer which will increase the growth of beer cans.
- Heineken, an Amsterdam based company, increased its stake in Bangalore based United Breweries, which is India’s largest beer manufacturer, thereby offering high growth potential for the beer packaging industry in the country, which will raise the usage of beer cans.
- Japanese companies are striding up their business in Southeast Asia to cash in on the region's growth. This time they are pouring investment into food and beverage containers. Japan’s Showa Denko will invest about USD 64 million to boost its aluminum beverage can and can lid production capacity in Vietnam.
The beer cans market is highly competitive owing to the presence of various international and domestic manufacturers. The market appears to be moderately concentrated with the vendors competing in terms of price, capacity, volume, product quality, and technological innovation in the market. Some of the major players in the market are Crown Holdings, Inc., Ball Corporation, among others.
- June 2019 - Corona beer launched interlocking cans to replace six-pack rings. The design and campaign for this new “Fit Packs” is a collaboration between the maker of Corona and the United States advertising company Leo Burnett. Also because of the portable nature of the interlocking cans, it won’t be necessary to use plastic bags to carry them.
- Mar 2020 - Aiming to appeal to the local consumers and also increase its brand presence, a Brazil-based craft beer brand Bierland converted 100% of its product portfolio to be packaged in the beverage cans in collaboration with Crown Embalagens Metálicas da Amazônia S.A., which is a subsidiary of Crown Holdings, Inc.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Growing Consumption of Craft Beer Across Various Regions
4.2.2 Recreational and Environmental Benefits
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Changing Consumer Preferences
4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Product Type
5.1.1 Aluminium Can
5.1.2 Steel/Tin Can
5.2.1 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.2.4 Latin America
220.127.116.11 Rest of Latin America
5.2.5 Middle-East & Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Crown Holdings, Inc.
6.1.2 Ball Corporation
6.1.3 Can-Pack S.A.
6.1.4 Toyo Seikan Kaisha,Ltd
6.1.5 Shenzhen Xin Yuheng Can Co., Ltd
6.1.6 Daiwa Can Co.
6.1.7 Kaufman Container
6.1.8 ORG Technology Co., Ltd.
6.1.9 Orora Packaging Australia Pty Ltd
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.