The Edge Computing in Automotive Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 27.5% over the forecast period (2021-2026). The evolution of autonomous vehicles and connected car infrastructure and the requirement for lightweight frameworks and systems to heighten the efficiency of edge computing solutions are anticipated to generate abundant opportunities for edge computing vendors. Most connected cars available presently leverage cellular networks for connectivity. Mass streaming data that is produced over mobile networks is both cost and bandwidth restrictive. While vehicles already use a number of sensors (like systems that inform the user of an advancing object when reversing), connected cars will need a lot more.
- For connected cars to give the value they are expected to, there requires to be a device that can concoct this data in real-time. Edge computing is the method of processing data from IoT (Internet of Things) devices where it is generated. With the edge, the data being gathered gets examined right at the source.
- Some of the advantages of edge computing in connected automated driving cover: eradicating the requirement for a centralized data-processing warehouse since the connected cars are preparing the data that is being created directly in the vehicle while it is driving, promoting real-time analytics without the delay since the information is being created at the source, allowing the vehicle to perform while concurrently decreasing internet bandwidth.
Key Market Trends
Connected Cars Dominate the Edge Computing in Automotive Market
- Without arbitrating personal information, Edge Computing technology allows transportation agencies to locate vehicle data related to speed, location, and trajectory - allowing better management of traffic flow as the capability to discuss specific problems in real-time. So, in addition to transferring information to the driver, connected cars will communicate information to transportation agencies to intensify their knowledge of real-time road conditions, as well as create historical data that will assist agencies better plan and allocate prospective resources (which are typically stretched far too thin).
- Driver assistance methods like Electronic Stability Program (ESP) or the automatic emergency braking, which are available in several vehicles already now, will be connected in the prospect. Thus, the advantages of these systems will grow even further. For instance, Bosch has seen into this future and examined what connected cars will be able to achieve using technologies that by then will be extensive: wrong-way driver warning, extremely automated driving, and smartphone integration.
- Also, as early as 2018, the PSA Group marketed vehicles provided with “driver-controlled” automated driving functions to help drivers in monotonous traffic jams on expressways (with Traffic Jam Assist) and parking plans. Delegated driving enhances safety in driving conditions, especially sensitive to driver inattention, and hence stops the bulk of accidents linked to human error.
North America Occupies the Largest Market Share
- North America accounted for the largest market share and is projected to maintain dominance throughout the forecast years as the consumer and business sectors in the region rely on IoT devices. Higher cloud adoption in the region is contributing to the continued transition toward technology. The development of innovative concepts, such as autonomous cars, within the region is also expected to propel the regional market growth in the years to come.
- Also, the region is expected to account for the largest market size during the forecast period, owing to the presence of large number of edge computing vendors and increasing technology adoption among North American enterprises for leveraging new technologies, such as 5G.
The edge computing in the automotive market is moderately competitive and consists of several major players. In terms of market share, few of the major players currently dominate the market, which continues to hold a considerable share in the overall market, especially across developed economies in regions such as North America and Europe. In developing economies such as Japan and China, the market is largely unorganized, featuring the dominance of regional or local vendors. Realizing the vast growth opportunities, international players are slowly entering these unorganized markets through mergers, acquisitions, and establishing supply networks.
- June 2019 - Capgemini and Altran Technologies, announced that they have entered into an agreement for exclusive negotiations whereby Capgemini is to acquire Altran, through a friendly takeover bid at EUR14.00 per Altran share, payable in cash. The total cash consideration will amount to EUR 3.6 billion, excluding net financial debt EUR1.4 billion.
- Dec 2019 - Digi International, announced the expansion of its successful ConnectCore family of products with the introduction of the Digi ConnectCore 8M Nano System on Module (SOM). This highly integrated, cost-effective SOM platform features pre-certified wireless connectivity, an integrated device security framework, remote management, cloud integration and a complete Linux software platform based on Yocto Project.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
4.3 Market Drivers
4.3.1 Rising Adoption of IOT
4.3.2 Exponentially Growing Data Volumes And Network Traffic
4.4 Market Restraints
4.4.1 Initial Capital Expenditure For Infrastructure
4.4.2 Privacy and Security Concerns
4.5 Value Chain / Supply Chain Analysis
4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Application
5.1.1 Connected Cars
5.1.2 Traffic Management
5.1.3 Smart Cities
5.1.4 Transportation & Logistics
5.1.5 Other Applications
5.2.1 North America
5.2.3 Asia Pacific
5.2.4 Rest of the World
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Altran Inc
6.1.2 Belden Inc.
6.1.3 Digi International Inc.
6.1.4 Cisco Systems, Inc.
6.1.5 Amazon Web Services (AWS), Inc.
6.1.6 General Electric Company
6.1.7 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Development LP
6.1.8 Huawei Technologies Co., ltd.
6.1.9 Litmus Automation
6.1.10 Azion Technologies Ltd.
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.