The Europe Metal Closures Market is expected to register a CAGR of approximately 3% during the forecast period (2021 - 2026). The recyclability factor of metal packaging drives the increase in the adoption of metal closures over plastic closures. Also, materials used in metal packagings like aluminum and steel are the two most robust raw materials for packaging solutions like caps and closures owing to the superior recycling infrastructure.
- Metal closures extend shelf-life while retaining the taste, flavor, and texture of the packaged products. It also offers leak-proof and contamination resistant features, hence, metal closures play a vital role in driving visual appeal, brand differentiation, and convenience for consumers. Metal closures find application in various end-user industries such as food, beverages, and pharmaceuticals, amongst others.
- Europe is one of the largest markets for food items such as jams, jellies, purťes, and marmalades, representing around 50% of total world imports. Further, the region has a higher consumption of packed food items such as jams, pickles, and many other food products, which augment the growth of the metal closures market in the region.
- Moreover, the pharmaceutical industry is another major sector using metal closures due to its barrier properties and insulating properties. Metal closures can be sealed securely, opened easily, and resealed effectively. Due to the growing market of OTC (Over-the-Counter) drugs, especially syrup bottles, metal closures have rising demand in the region. According to the EFPIA 2019 report, the pharmaceutical market value in Europe was EUR 208,949 million, and the export value of the region was EUR 396,036 million.
- Several regional market players are viewing strategic partnerships and acquisitions as a lucrative path towards expanding their market presence. For instance, in Jan 2020, Guala Closures Group acquired the Closurelogic GmbH, specializing in aluminum closures. Closurelogic produces approximately 3.4 billion aluminum closure per year. These initiatives are expected to aid in the growth of metal closures in the European region.
- Moreover, during the global coronavirus outbreak, several governments across the globe have allowed the supply of essential goods only. Owing to this, the Metal Packaging Europe (MPE) association, reached out to the European Commission and Member States to recognize the metal packaging sector as essential in ensuring the uninterrupted flow of critical goods, in the food, beverage, and medical industries.
Key Market Trends
Beverage Industry Expected to Exhibit Maximum Adoption
- The beverage industry is one of the major contributors to the Metal Closures market. Various types of metal closures are used in beverage packagings such as Crown Caps, Aluminum Screw Caps, Twist/Lug Closures, and others. Several kinds of beverages, such as Carbonated Soft Drinks, Energy Drinks, and Alcoholic Beverages, are among the major end-user segments for the use of metal closures.
- Beverage caps and closures demand has been increasing at a significant rate in Europe, owing to the widespread consumption of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks across the continent. According to Brewers of Europe, in 2018, the volume of beer produced in Europe is 402,105 thousand hectoliters. This is further driving the demand for metal closures in the region.
- Moreover, regional market players are taking several initiatives to boost their productivity through efficiency and innovation, which will expand their market presence. For instance, Herti, which serves the European wine and spirits industry, increased production of its 30◊60 aluminum screw caps in June 2018, further driving the growing demand for metal closures from the wine industry.
- In January 2020, Tecnocap exhibited an extensive range of metal closures and a redesigned portfolio of aluminum aerosol cans and bottles made from 100% recycled aluminum at the ADF&PCD and PLD Paris 2020.
United Kingdom Expected to Hold a Significant Share in the Market
- The United Kingdom is expected to hold a significant share in the European Metal Closures Market, due to the presence of major vendors such as Guala Closures Group, Bericap, and Sonoco Products Company.
- The adoption of metal closures is maximum in the beverage industry owing to its properties like recyclability, durability, and its ability to offer leak-proof and contamination resistant features. Amongst the beverages, beer is expected to show the maximum adoption of metal closures.
- According to a study by the Office for National Statistics (UK), the sale of beer in the United Kingdom amounted to approximately GBP 3.4 billion in 2018. Also, the sales of Cider and Other Fruit Wines amounted to approximately GBP 0.98 million in 2018.
- Several regional market players are expanding their range of products by either innovation in the market or enhancing their productivity to capture the maximum market share. For instance, in 2019, Bericap expanded its range of caps and closures in its UK site. The new UK manufactured products will increase the diversity of caps, closures, and associated products, as well as increase its capacity to enhance the supply in the UK domestic market.
The competitive landscape of the European Metal Closures Market is moderately consolidated, owing to the presence of certain major manufacturers in the region such as Herti JSC, Guala Closures Group, Sonoco Product Company, and Pelliconi & C. SpA, amonsgt others. The market players are forming strategic partnerships and collaborations to boost the market growth. Also, the region is witnessing the entry of several global players in the region as the region provides lucrative opportunities for growth.
- October 2019 - SABIC, a global company in the chemicals industry opened a new Technology and Innovation Center dedicated to the caps and closures segment in Geleen, the Netherlands. The Technology and Innovation Center is located in SABICís Global Technology Center for Europe on the Chemelot Campus. This investment isexpected to aid SABICís commitment to the industry to develop new materials and technologies focused on caps and closures.
- September 2019 - Berlin Packaging, a supplier of glass, plastic, and metal containers and closures, acquired Vetroservice srl, a packaging supplier strategically located in central Italyís food and olive oil region. This will help the company in expanding operations to serve as an important supplier of glass packaging for the food and wine markets.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.5.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.5.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.6 Assessment of Impact of Covid-19 on the Market
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By End-user
5.1.4 Other End-User Industries
5.2 By Country
5.2.1 United Kingdom
5.2.8 Rest of Europe
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Crown Holdings Incorporated¬†
6.1.2 Herti JSC¬†
6.1.3 Guala Closures Group¬†
6.1.4 Sonoco Products Company¬†
6.1.5 Pelliconi & C. SpA
6.1.6 Silgan Group
6.1.7 CAN-PACK S.A.
6.1.8 Technocap Group
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.