Marathon Petroleum Corporation (MPC) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the companys businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalData to bring to you a clear and an unbiased view of the companys key strengths and weaknesses and the potential opportunities and threats. The profile helps you formulate strategies that augment your business by enabling you to understand your partners, customers and competitors better.
The profile contains critical company information including:
- Business description A detailed description of the companys operations and business divisions.
- Corporate strategy Analysts summarization of the companys business strategy.
- SWOT Analysis A detailed analysis of the companys strengths, weakness, opportunities and threats.
- Company history Progression of key events associated with the company.
- Major products and services A list of major products, services and brands of the company.
- Key competitors A list of key competitors to the company.
- Key employees A list of the key executives of the company.
- Executive biographies A brief summary of the executives employment history.
- Key operational heads A list of personnel heading key departments/functions.
- Important locations and subsidiaries A list and contact details of key locations and subsidiaries of the company.
- Detailed financial ratios for the past five years The latest financial ratios derived from the annual financial statements published by the company with 5 years history.
- Interim ratios for the last five interim periods The latest financial ratios derived from the quarterly/semi-annual financial statements published by the company for 5 interims history.
Marathon Petroleum Corporation (MPC) is a downstream energy company, which refines, markets and transports petroleum products. It owns and operates refineries in the Gulf Coast and Midwest regions of the US. MPC owns common carrier pipeline systems that transport crude oil and refined products to the companys refineries, terminals and other pipeline systems. The company sells gasoline and a wide variety of merchandise through Speedway-branded convenience stores. Its integrated system provides crude oil, feedstock and petroleum-related products through its distribution network in the Midwest, East Coast, Southeast and Gulf Coast regions in the US. It also has interests in gas processing plants, natural gas liquids fractionation facilities and a condensate stabilization facility. MPC is headquartered in Findlay, Ohio, the US.
Marathon Petroleum Corporation Key Recent Developments
Feb 13, 2017: MPLX Subsidiary To Purchase Ozark Pipeline
Feb 01, 2017: Marathon Petroleum Reports Fourth-Quarter And Full-Year 2016 Results
Jan 27, 2017: Marathon Petroleum elects new board member
Jan 23, 2017: Praxair signs hydrogen supply agreement with Marathon Petroleum
Jan 12, 2017: Marathon Petroleum appoints vice president of human resources and labor relations
Key benefits of buying this profile include:
You get detailed information about the company and its operations to identify potential customers and suppliers.
- The profile analyzes the companys business structure, operations, major products and services, prospects, locations and subsidiaries, key executives and their biographies and key competitors.
Understand and respond to your competitors business structure and strategies, and capitalize on their weaknesses. Stay up to date on the major developments affecting the company.
- The companys core strengths and weaknesses and areas of development or decline are analyzed and presented in the profile objectively. Recent developments in the company covered in the profile help you track important events.
Equip yourself with information that enables you to sharpen your strategies and transform your operations profitably.
- Opportunities that the company can explore and exploit are sized up and its growth potential assessed in the profile. Competitive and/or technological threats are highlighted.
Scout for potential investments and acquisition targets, with detailed insight into the companies strategic, financial and operational performance.
- Financial ratio presented for major public companies in the profile include the revenue trends, profitability, growth, margins and returns, liquidity and leverage, financial position and efficiency ratios.
Gain key insights into the company for academic or business research.
- Key elements such as SWOT analysis, corporate strategy and financial ratios and charts are incorporated in the profile to assist your academic or business research needs.
Note: Some sections may be missing if data is unavailable for the company
Table of Contents
Table of Contents 2
List of Tables 4
List of Figures 5
Section 1 - About the Company 6
Marathon Petroleum Corporation - Key Facts 6
Marathon Petroleum Corporation - Key Employees 7
Marathon Petroleum Corporation - Key Employee Biographies 8
Marathon Petroleum Corporation - Major Products and Services 9
Marathon Petroleum Corporation - Key Operational Summary 10
Marathon Petroleum Corporation - History 11
Marathon Petroleum Corporation - Company Statement 15
Marathon Petroleum Corporation - Locations And Subsidiaries 16
Head Office 16
Other Locations & Subsidiaries 16
Joint Venture 20
Section 2 Â Company Analysis 21
Marathon Petroleum Corporation - Business Description 21
Marathon Petroleum Corporation - Corporate Strategy 23
Marathon Petroleum Corporation - SWOT Analysis 24
SWOT Analysis - Overview 24
Marathon Petroleum Corporation - Strengths 24
Marathon Petroleum Corporation - Weaknesses 25
Marathon Petroleum Corporation - Opportunities 26
Marathon Petroleum Corporation - Threats 27
Marathon Petroleum Corporation - Key Competitors 28
Section 3 Â Company Financial Ratios 29
Financial Ratios - Annual Ratios 29
Performance Chart 31
Financial Performance 31
Financial Ratios - Interim Ratios 32
Financial Ratios - Ratio Charts 33
Section 4 Â CompanyÂs Oil & Gas Financial Deals and Alliances 34
Marathon Petroleum Corporation, Oil & Gas, Deals By Year, 2011 to YTD 2017 34
Marathon Petroleum Corporation, Oil & Gas, Deals By Type, 2011 to YTD 2017 35
Marathon Petroleum Corporation, Recent Deals Summary 36
Section 5 Â CompanyÂs Recent Developments 37
Feb 13, 2017: MPLX Subsidiary To Purchase Ozark Pipeline 37
Feb 01, 2017: Marathon Petroleum Reports Fourth-Quarter And Full-Year 2016 Results 38
Jan 27, 2017: Marathon Petroleum elects new board member 41
Jan 23, 2017: Praxair signs hydrogen supply agreement with Marathon Petroleum 42
Jan 12, 2017: Marathon Petroleum appoints vice president of human resources and labor relations 43
Dec 14, 2016: Marathon Petroleum Reports Operational Problem At Galveston Bay Refinery In Texas 44
Nov 30, 2016: MPC announces retirement of vice president of business development 45
Oct 27, 2016: Marathon Petroleum Reports Third-Quarter 2016 Results 46
Oct 11, 2016: MPLX: Cornerstone Pipeline Begins Operations, Provides Connectivity To Utica Shale 48
Oct 03, 2016: Marathon Petroleum Announces Election Of New Director 49
Section 6 Â Appendix 50
Ratio Definitions 50
About GlobalData 54
Contact Us 54
List of Figures
Marathon Petroleum Corporation, Performance Chart (2012 - 2016) 31
Marathon Petroleum Corporation, Ratio Charts 33
Marathon Petroleum Corporation, Oil & Gas, Deals By Year, 2011 to YTD 2017 34
Marathon Petroleum Corporation, Oil & Gas, Deals by Type, 2011 to YTD 2017 35
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.