You are here :
Caterpillar Inc. (CAT) - Financial And Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
Published on: Mar 2017 | From USD $125 | Published By: GLOBAL DATA | Number Of Pages: 59
Caterpillar Inc. (CAT) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalData to bring to you a clear and an unbiased view of the company’s key strengths and weaknesses and the potential opportunities and threats. The profile helps you formulate strategies that augment your business by enabling you to understand your partners, customers and competitors better.
The profile contains critical company information including:
- Business description – A detailed description of the company’s operations and business divisions.
- Corporate strategy – Analyst’s summarization of the company’s business strategy.
- SWOT Analysis – A detailed analysis of the company’s strengths, weakness, opportunities and threats.
- Company history – Progression of key events associated with the company.
- Major products and services – A list of major products, services and brands of the company.
- Key competitors – A list of key competitors to the company.
- Key employees – A list of the key executives of the company.
- Executive biographies – A brief summary of the executives’ employment history.
- Key operational heads – A list of personnel heading key departments/functions.
- Important locations and subsidiaries – A list and contact details of key locations and subsidiaries of the company.
- Detailed financial ratios for the past five years – The latest financial ratios derived from the annual financial statements published by the company with 5 years history.
- Interim ratios for the last five interim periods – The latest financial ratios derived from the quarterly/semi-annual financial statements published by the company for 5 interims history.
Caterpillar Inc. (Caterpillar) is a manufacturer of construction, transportation and energy equipment. It designs, manufactures, markets and sells construction and mining equipment, industrial gas turbines, forestry machinery, diesel and natural gas engines, and diesel-electric locomotives. It also offers retail and wholesale financing plans such as operating and finance leases, working capital loans, installment sale contracts and wholesale financing plans to customers and dealers for the purchase and lease of equipment. Its service portfolio includes remanufacturing and progress rail services. The company markets and sells its products in several countries across North and South America, Asia-Pacific, Africa, the Middle East and Europe. Caterpillar is headquartered in Peoria, Illinois, the US.
Caterpillar Inc. Key Recent Developments
Feb 09, 2017: Caterpillar Announces Executive Officer Retirement
Jan 31, 2017: Caterpillar To Establish Global Headquarters In Chicago Area
Jan 26, 2017: Caterpillar Reports 2016 Fourth-Quarter and Full-Year Financial Results; Provides Outlook for 2017
Dec 23, 2016: Caterpillar Announces Vice President Retirements and Appointments
Dec 23, 2016: Caterpillar Announces Executive Office Appointments and Changes
Key benefits of buying this profile include:
You get detailed information about the company and its operations to identify potential customers and suppliers.
- The profile analyzes the company’s business structure, operations, major products and services, prospects, locations and subsidiaries, key executives and their biographies and key competitors.
Understand and respond to your competitors’ business structure and strategies, and capitalize on their weaknesses. Stay up to date on the major developments affecting the company.
- The company’s core strengths and weaknesses and areas of development or decline are analyzed and presented in the profile objectively. Recent developments in the company covered in the profile help you track important events.
Equip yourself with information that enables you to sharpen your strategies and transform your operations profitably.
- Opportunities that the company can explore and exploit are sized up and its growth potential assessed in the profile. Competitive and/or technological threats are highlighted.
Scout for potential investments and acquisition targets, with detailed insight into the companies’ strategic, financial and operational performance.
- Financial ratio presented for major public companies in the profile include the revenue trends, profitability, growth, margins and returns, liquidity and leverage, financial position and efficiency ratios.
Gain key insights into the company for academic or business research.
- Key elements such as SWOT analysis, corporate strategy and financial ratios and charts are incorporated in the profile to assist your academic or business research needs.
Note: Some sections may be missing if data is unavailable for the company
Table of Contents
Table of Contents 2
List of Tables 4
List of Figures 5
Section 1 - About the Company 6
Caterpillar Inc. - Key Facts 6
Caterpillar Inc. - Key Employees 7
Caterpillar Inc. - Key Employee Biographies 9
Caterpillar Inc. - Major Products and Services 10
Caterpillar Inc. - History 12
Caterpillar Inc. - Company Statement 23
Caterpillar Inc. - Locations And Subsidiaries 24
Head Office 24
Other Locations & Subsidiaries 24
Joint Venture 27
Section 2 Â– Company Analysis 28
Caterpillar Inc. - Business Description 28
Business Description - Financial Products 28
Financial Products - Overview 28
Financial Products - Financials 28
Business Description - Machinery, Energy & Transportation 29
Machinery, Energy & Transportation - Overview 29
Machinery, Energy & Transportation - Financials 29
Caterpillar Inc. - SWOT Analysis 30
SWOT Analysis - Overview 30
Caterpillar Inc. - Strengths 30
Caterpillar Inc. - Weaknesses 31
Caterpillar Inc. - Opportunities 32
Caterpillar Inc. - Threats 33
Caterpillar Inc. - Key Competitors 34
Section 3 Â– Company Financial Ratios 35
Financial Ratios - Capital Market Ratios 35
Financial Ratios - Annual Ratios 36
Performance Chart 38
Financial Performance 38
Financial Ratios - Interim Ratios 39
Financial Ratios - Ratio Charts 40
Caterpillar Inc., Recent Deals Summary 41
Section 4 Â– CompanyÂ’s Recent Developments 42
Feb 09, 2017: Caterpillar Announces Executive Officer Retirement 42
Jan 31, 2017: Caterpillar To Establish Global Headquarters In Chicago Area 43
Jan 26, 2017: Caterpillar Reports 2016 Fourth-Quarter and Full-Year Financial Results; Provides Outlook for 2017 44
Dec 23, 2016: Caterpillar Announces Executive Office Appointments and Changes 46
Oct 25, 2016: Caterpillar Reports Third-quarter 2016 Results 47
Oct 19, 2016: CMA CGM Signs A First Memorandum Of Understanding With ENGIE 49
Oct 17, 2016: Caterpillar Chairman And CEO Doug Oberhelman Elects To Retire In 2017; Jim Umpleby Elected As Caterpillar's Next CEO; Dave Calhoun To Become Non-executive Chairman Of The Board 50
Sep 29, 2016: Caterpillar Affirms Commitment to Egypt's Infrastructure Development 52
Sep 12, 2016: Caterpillar Again Named to Dow Jones Sustainability Indices 53
Sep 02, 2016: Caterpillar Contemplates Allocation Of Production From Gosselies Belgium To Other Manufacturing Facilities 54
Section 5 Â– Appendix 55
Ratio Definitions 55
About GlobalData 59
Contact Us 59
List of Figures
Caterpillar Inc., Performance Chart (2012 - 2016) 38
Caterpillar Inc., Ratio Charts 40
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.
The process usually includes collection and interpretation of market data by using statistical and analytical techniques to support the decision making process.
The report helps in identifying and tracking emerging players in the market and their portfolios, enhances decision making capabilities and helps to create effective counter strategies to gain competitive advantage.
Market research reports provide in-depth analysis about the market conditions and requirements for effective decision making.
The report provides a snapshot of the global market size, segmentation data, marketing growth strategies, market share, export and import information, analysis and forecast of market trends, competition, domestic production, best sales prospects, statistical data, tariffs, regulations, distribution and business practices, end-user analysis, contact points and more.
These research reports include information about competitive strategies, solutions, fact-based research, key takeaways, recommendations, market considerations, emerging business models and market opportunities for multiple segments of an industry.
Market research reports assist in solving business problems and making better decisions to improve business as per the prevalent market trends.
Any person who has the capacity to make decisions for the business must buy the reports. These reports help management in decision making process. Market research helps person to obtain market information from different sources, and in multiple formats. It aims to study supply and demand, analyze data as per geography, age factors, demography, technology, product, psychographic & gender differences, and many other parameters. Access to in-depth market trends helps person to assess the market effectiveness. Some of the multiple techniques used for market research include customer analysis, choice modeling, competition and risk analysis, product research, advertising the research, marketing mix modeling, simulated test marketing, and more.
Market research studies several features of business environment, such as competitors, market structure, government regulations, economic trends, technological advances and financial analysis of companies, industries, and sectors. This helps person in the decision-making process of planning and implementing strategies for their markets.
1. Choose a topic.
2. Make skeleton catalogue.
3. Fill content. As for report content, there are two main information source, Primary and Secondary data collection. Secondary data collectionrefers to information searched from the Internet or data bought from database. Primary data collection refers to information concluded from telephone interview, face-to-face interview, expertâ€™s interview, meeting etc.
4. Audit the report
5. Publish the report.
With regard to information cost, information searching costs the least, database support the second least, and telephone interview the third least. Face-face interview cost higher, in-depth interview much higher and expert interview the highest. A research may adopt all of these approaches, or just some of them.
In general, a good-quality research report needs 1-3 months to be finished. Time and method varies according to different Publishers. Thus, itâ€™s difficult to define an exact procedure or process of making research report. Both time and cost vary. However, specialization has become a basic industry standard. Professional and dedicated products will be more and more popular.
There may be exceptions to this if you place order on a non-working day specifically because our publisher partners are located all over the globe. In case of physical delivery report will be couriered to you within 3 working days from the date of the receipt of payment and delivery time will differ based on your location
+1 (704) 266-3234
- In-depth database Our Reportâ€™s database covers almost all topics of all regions over the Globe..
- Recognised publishing sources Tie ups with top publishers around the globe.
- Customer Support Complete pre and post sales support.
- Safe & Secure Complete secure payment process.