Calpine Corporation (CPN) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the companyís businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalData to bring to you a clear and an unbiased view of the companyís key strengths and weaknesses and the potential opportunities and threats. The profile helps you formulate strategies that augment your business by enabling you to understand your partners, customers and competitors better.
The profile contains critical company information including:
- Business description Ė A detailed description of the companyís operations and business divisions.
- Corporate strategy Ė Analystís summarization of the companyís business strategy.
- SWOT Analysis Ė A detailed analysis of the companyís strengths, weakness, opportunities and threats.
- Company history Ė Progression of key events associated with the company.
- Major products and services Ė A list of major products, services and brands of the company.
- Key competitors Ė A list of key competitors to the company.
- Key employees Ė A list of the key executives of the company.
- Executive biographies Ė A brief summary of the executivesí employment history.
- Key operational heads Ė A list of personnel heading key departments/functions.
- Important locations and subsidiaries Ė A list and contact details of key locations and subsidiaries of the company.
- Detailed financial ratios for the past five years Ė The latest financial ratios derived from the annual financial statements published by the company with 5 years history.
- Interim ratios for the last five interim periods Ė The latest financial ratios derived from the quarterly/semi-annual financial statements published by the company for 5 interims history.
Calpine Corporation (Calpine) is an electric and natural gas utility which provides power, steam, capacity, renewable energy credits; and ancillary services. The company generates electricity and thermal energy from natural gas, geothermal, and solar sources, and through combined cycle, simple cycle, co-generation, and renewable technologies; and sells that power in wholesale markets. Calpine also invests in developing, constructing, owning and operation of clean power generation plants. It serves independent electric system operators; power marketers; industrial and agricultural companies; municipalities and other governmental entities; retail power providers; retail commercial, industrial, governmental and residential customers in California, Texas, Northeast, and Mid-Atlantic regions of North America. Calpine is headquartered in Houston, Texas, the US.
Calpine Corporation Key Recent Developments
Feb 10, 2017: Calpine Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Results, Reaffirms 2017 Guidance
Oct 28, 2016: Calpine Reports Third Quarter Results, Narrows 2016 Guidance and Provides 2017 Guidance; More Than 65% of Market Cap Available for Deployment Over Next Three Years
Jul 29, 2016: Calpine Reports Second Quarter Results, Narrows 2016 Guidance
May 12, 2016: Frank Cassidy Elected Chairman Of Calpine Board Of Directors
May 11, 2016: Calpine to construct 200MW wind farm in Henry County, Indiana
Key benefits of buying this profile include:
You get detailed information about the company and its operations to identify potential customers and suppliers.
- The profile analyzes the companyís business structure, operations, major products and services, prospects, locations and subsidiaries, key executives and their biographies and key competitors.
Understand and respond to your competitorsí business structure and strategies, and capitalize on their weaknesses. Stay up to date on the major developments affecting the company.
- The companyís core strengths and weaknesses and areas of development or decline are analyzed and presented in the profile objectively. Recent developments in the company covered in the profile help you track important events.
Equip yourself with information that enables you to sharpen your strategies and transform your operations profitably.
- Opportunities that the company can explore and exploit are sized up and its growth potential assessed in the profile. Competitive and/or technological threats are highlighted.
Scout for potential investments and acquisition targets, with detailed insight into the companiesí strategic, financial and operational performance.
- Financial ratio presented for major public companies in the profile include the revenue trends, profitability, growth, margins and returns, liquidity and leverage, financial position and efficiency ratios.
Gain key insights into the company for academic or business research.
- Key elements such as SWOT analysis, corporate strategy and financial ratios and charts are incorporated in the profile to assist your academic or business research needs.
Note: Some sections may be missing if data is unavailable for the company
Table of Contents
Table of Contents 2
List of Tables 4
List of Figures 5
Section 1 - About the Company 6
Calpine Corporation - Key Facts 6
Calpine Corporation - Key Employees 7
Calpine Corporation - Key Employee Biographies 9
Calpine Corporation - Major Products and Services 11
Calpine Corporation - Key Operational Summary 12
Calpine Corporation, Share of Installed Capacity by Fuel Type (Power Generation), 2010 12
Calpine Corporation - History 13
Calpine Corporation - Company Statement 17
Calpine Corporation - Locations And Subsidiaries 18
Head Office 18
Other Locations & Subsidiaries 18
Section 2 ¬Ė Company Analysis 22
Calpine Corporation - Business Description 22
Business Description - East segment 22
East segment - Overview 22
East segment - Production 22
East segment - Financials 22
Business Description - Texas segment 22
Texas segment - Overview 22
Texas segment - Production 22
Texas segment - Financials 22
Business Description - West segment 22
West segment - Overview 22
West segment - Production 22
West segment - Financials 23
Calpine Corporation - Corporate Strategy 24
Calpine Corporation - SWOT Analysis 25
SWOT Analysis - Overview 25
Calpine Corporation - Strengths 25
Calpine Corporation - Weaknesses 26
Calpine Corporation - Opportunities 27
Calpine Corporation - Threats 28
Calpine Corporation - Key Competitors 29
Section 3 ¬Ė Company Financial Ratios 30
Financial Ratios - Capital Market Ratios 30
Financial Ratios - Annual Ratios 31
Performance Chart 33
Financial Performance 33
Financial Ratios - Interim Ratios 34
Financial Ratios - Ratio Charts 35
Section 4 ¬Ė Company¬ís Power Financial Deals and Alliances 36
Calpine Corporation, Power, Deals By Year, 2011 to YTD 2017 36
Calpine Corporation, Power, Deals By Type, 2011 to YTD 2017 37
Calpine Corporation, Recent Deals Summary 38
Section 5 ¬Ė Company¬ís Recent Developments 39
Feb 10, 2017: Calpine Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Results, Reaffirms 2017 Guidance 39
Oct 28, 2016: Calpine Reports Third Quarter Results, Narrows 2016 Guidance and Provides 2017 Guidance; More Than 65% of Market Cap Available for Deployment Over Next Three Years 41
Jul 29, 2016: Calpine Reports Second Quarter Results, Narrows 2016 Guidance 47
May 12, 2016: Frank Cassidy Elected Chairman Of Calpine Board Of Directors 52
May 11, 2016: Calpine to construct 200MW wind farm in Henry County, Indiana 53
Apr 29, 2016: Calpine Reports First Quarter Results, Reaffirms 2016 Guidance 54
Mar 08, 2016: Calpine Names Charlie Gates as New EVP of Power Operations 57
Feb 12, 2016: Calpine Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2015 Results, Reaffirms 2016 Guidance 58
Section 6 ¬Ė Appendix 60
Ratio Definitions 60
About GlobalData 64
Contact Us 64
List of Figures
Calpine Corporation, Share of Installed Capacity by Fuel Type, MW, 2010 12
Calpine Corporation, Performance Chart (2012 - 2016) 33
Calpine Corporation, Ratio Charts 35
Calpine Corporation, Power, Deals By Year, 2011 to YTD 2017 36
Calpine Corporation, Power, Deals by Type, 2011 to YTD 2017 37
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.