MediPoint: Prosthetic Heart Valves - 5EU Analysis and Market Forecasts
The prosthetic heart valves (PHV) market in Europe is a dynamic market that is expected to grow through 2020. Recent advancements in the field of interventional cardiology have greatly improved clinical outcomes for patients. Prosthetic heart valves, including mechanical valves, tissue valves, and transcatheter valves, can be used to treat patients with valvular heart disease affecting the aortic or mitral valves. They can be delivered either via open-heart surgery or transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVR).
The PHV market is determined for the five major European markets (5EU): France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the UK. The report provides insights into the competitive landscape, the marketed and pipeline products, the current and emerging players and market analysis of the different device segments within the PHV market in the 5EU. The report also provides insight into the unmet needs and an understanding of physician perceptions and decision-making process in using prosthetic heart valves. This report is built using data and information sourced from secondary sources and primary research interviews with leading Interventional Cardiologists, with in-house analysis conducted by GlobalData’s team of industry experts.
*This is an on-demand report and will be delivered within 4 working days (excluding weekends) of the purchase.
Key Questions Answered
- What is the current and future prosthetic heart valves market outlook in the 5EU? What trends are affecting these markets?
- Which are the key, high growth markets that valve manufacturers should expand into? Which markets are growing the fastest, and what are the top-selling products in each segment?
- What are the unmet needs with PHVs currently on the market? How will emerging technologies such as repositionable and retrievable valves fulfill these unmet needs?
- What clinical factors and technical specifications influence a physician to use one type of valve over another? What is physician perception and market outlook of PHV?
- What are the challenges and complications of TAVR that have hindered widespread adoption?
- With developing the next-generation of heart valves, what aspects of the technology are device manufacturers focused on optimizing? How will new entrants impact the PHV market?
“What Physicians Think” quotes provide a unique insight into how healthcare professionals are reacting to events within the industry, and what their responses could mean for industry strategists. In this report you will understand the perceptions of leading Interventional Cardiologists and Cardiac Surgeons from around the world. This information is essential for all strategic decision makers in every organization allowing them to act on high quality information.
- Overview of valvular heart disease, including anatomy, epidemiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines and modalities.
- Annualized total PHV market revenue from 2011-2020 including adoption patterns in the 5EU.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, identification of unmet needs, reimbursement and regulatory considerations, and implications for the PHV market.
- Pipeline analysis: Comprehensive list of products split across different stages of development, emerging trends and valve designs in development, including investigation of delivery and deployment methods, materials and coatings used, and sizes available.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the 5EU PHV market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, opportunities, barriers and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
- Understand the trends shaping and driving the EU PHV market.
- Realize device preferences of physicians who have performed the tests already.
- Access market sizing, forecasts and quantified growth opportunities in EU PHV market through 2018.
- Quantify candidate patient populations to better design product pricing & launch plans.
- Drive revenues, formulate effective sales and marketing strategies and gain in-depth understanding of the competitive landscape.
- Perform benchmarking analysis of growth opportunities against currently marketed products.
- Assess competitiveness of products in market by understanding the strengths and weaknesses of current competition.
- Take a comprehensive look at the market’s device pipeline and identify promising, paradigm-shifting products.
- Create an effective counter-strategy to gain a competitive advantage against those currently in the market.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present the best opportunities for growth.
- What’s the next big thing in EU PHV market landscape? Identify, understand and capitalize.
1 Table of Contents
1.1 List of Tables
1.2 List of Figures
2.3 Related Reports
3 Industry Overview
3.1.1 Mechanical Heart Valves
3.1.2 Tissue Heart Valves
3.1.3 Transcatheter Heart Valves
3.2.1 Valvular Stenosis
3.2.2 Valvular Regurgitation
3.3 Clinical Presentation
3.3.2 Risk Assessment Tools
3.4 Clinical Outcomes
3.4.1 Treatment Options
3.4.2 Life Style Changes
3.5 Applications of Technology
3.6 Market Access
3.6.1 Purchasing Decisions
3.7 Influence of Clinical Trials
3.8 Brand Loyalty
3.11.1 By Country
3.12 Procedure Trends
3.12.2 By Country
3.13 Regulatory Issues/Recalls
3.13.1 Portico TAVR Implants Halted Due to Safety Concerns
3.14 M&A, Key Partnerships
3.14.1 Licensing Agreement Between Symetis and Endoluminal Sciences
3.14.2 Manufacturing Agreement Between Sorin Group and Boston Scientific
3.15 Economic Impact
3.15.1 Indirect Costs
3.15.2 Direct Costs
4 Unmet Needs
4.1 Delivery & Implantation
4.1.1 Mechanism of Deployment
4.1.5 Artery Accessibility
4.1.6 Rapid Pacing
4.1.7 Coronary Ostia Occlusion
4.1.8 Motorized Delivery Systems
4.2.3 Effective Orifice Area
4.2.4 Coefficient of Friction
4.5 Replaceable Leaflets
4.6 Embolic Protection
4.7 Pacemaker Placement
5 Market Opportunity Analysis
5.2 Emerging Markets for TAVR
5.3 Increasing Tissue Valve Lifespan
5.4 Valve-in-Valve Procedures (Re-replacement)
5.5 Transcatheter Mitral Valve Replacement
5.6 Balloon Valvuloplasty
6 Market Drivers and Barriers
6.1 Driver: Rising Disease Prevalence
6.2 Driver: Multimodality Imaging
6.3 Driver: Alternative Access Routes
6.4 Driver: Lower Risk Patient Access
6.5 Driver: Patient Demand and Awareness
6.6 Driver: Advanced Computational Tools
6.7 Driver: Rising Competition and Innovation
6.8 Barrier: High Device and Procedure Cost
6.9 Barrier: Burden of Rising Regulation
6.10 Barrier: Medical Device Excise Tax
6.11 Barrier: Proving Long-Term Efficacy
6.12 Substitute: Valve Repair
6.13 Substitute: Balloon Valvuloplasty
7 Competitive Assessment
7.2 Classification Based on Features
7.2.1 Mechanical Heart Valves
7.2.2 Tissue Heart Valves
7.2.3 Transcatheter Heart Valves
7.3 Market Dynamics Analysis
7.4 Product Profiles
7.4.1 Mechanical Heart Valves
7.4.2 Tissue Heart Valves
7.4.3 Transcatheter Heart Valves
8 Pipeline Assessment
8.2 Product Profiles
8.2.1 Cytograft Tissue Valve (Cytograft Tissue Engineering)
8.2.2 Centera Valve (Edwards Lifesciences)
8.2.3 Colibri Heart Valve (Colibri Heart Valve)
8.2.4 Cormove (Perouse Medical)
8.2.5 Endovalve (Micro Interventional Devices)
8.2.6 HLT Transcatheter Valve System (Heart Leaflet Technology)
8.2.7 Inovare Valve (Braile BiomÃ©dica)
8.2.8 Kalangos Valve (Leman Cardiovascular)
8.2.9 Tiara Valve (Neovasc)
8.2.10 Trinity Valve (Transcatheter Technologies GmbH)
8.2.11 Vanguard Exchangeable Heart Valve System (ValveXchange)
9 Clinical Trials to Watch
9.2 CoreValve Evolut R (Medtronic)
9.3 TRANSFORM Trial - Intuity Valve System (Edwards Lifesciences)
9.4 PROACT Trial - On-X Plus 1.5 Mechanical Heart Valve (On-X Life Technologies)
9.5 PARTNER II Trial - Sapien XT (Edwards Lifesciences)
9.6 PARTNER III Trial - Sapien 3 (Edwards Lifesciences)
9.7 REPRISE III IDE/PMA Trial - Lotus Valve System (Boston Scientific)
9.8 SENTINEL-H Trial - Sentinel Cerebral Protection System (Claret Medical)
10 Current and Future Players
10.2 Trends in Corporate Strategy
10.3 Company Profiles
10.3.1 AorTech International
10.3.2 Boston Scientific
10.3.3 Braile BiomÃ©dica
10.3.4 CardiAQ Valve Technologies
10.3.5 Claret Medical
10.3.6 Colibri Heart Valve
10.3.7 Cytograft Tissue Engineering
10.3.8 Direct Flow Medical
10.3.9 Edwards Lifesciences
10.3.10 Heart Leaflet Technologies
10.3.11 JenaValve Technology
10.3.12 Leman Cardiovascular
10.3.13 Micro Interventional Devices
10.3.15 On-X Life Technologies, Inc
10.3.16 Perouse Medical
10.3.17 Sorin Group
10.3.18 St Jude Medical
10.3.20 Transcatheter Technologies GmbH
10.3.21 TTK Healthcare
11 Strategic Competitive Assessment
11.1 Company Market Share
11.1.2 By Country
12 Market Outlooks by Market Segment
12.1 Market Segment Share
13 Market Outlooks by Geography
14.3 Report Methodology
14.3.3 Secondary Research
14.4 Forecasting Methodology
14.5 Physicians and Specialists Included in This Study
14.6 About the Authors
14.6.2 Global Head of Healthcare
14.7 About GlobalData
1.2 List of Figures
Figure 1: Hierarchy of Valvular Heart Disease
Figure 2: Operative Risk for Severe, Symptomatic Aortic Valve Disease Patients, 2009
Figure 3: France Procedure Volume Forecast by Market Segment, 2011-2020
Figure 4: France Procedure Volume Comparison by Market Segment, 2013 & 2020
Figure 5: Germany Procedure Volume Forecast by Market Segment, 2011-2020
Figure 6: Germany Procedure Volume Comparison by Market Segment, 2013 & 2020
Figure 7: Italy Procedure Volume Forecast by Market Segment, 2011-2020
Figure 8: Italy Procedure Volume Comparison by Market Segment, 2013 & 2020
Figure 9: Spain Procedure Volume Forecast by Market Segment, 2011-2020
Figure 10: Spain Procedure Volume Comparison by Market Segment, 2013 & 2020
Figure 11: UK Procedure Volume Forecast by Market Segment, 2011-2020
Figure 12: UK Procedure Volume Comparison by Market Segment, 2013 & 2020
Figure 13: EU Company Market Share for Prosthetic Heart Valves, 2012
Figure 14: France Company Market Shares for Prosthetic Heart Valves, 2012
Figure 15: Germany Company Market Shares for Prosthetic Heart Valves, 2012
Figure 16: Italy Company Market Shares for Prosthetic Heart Valves, 2012
Figure 17: Spain Company Market Shares for Prosthetic Heart Valves, 2012
Figure 18: UK Company Market Shares for Prosthetic Heart Valves, 2012
Figure 19: 5EU Market Value Forecast by Market Segment for Prosthetic Heart Valves, 2011-2020
Figure 20: France Market Value Forecast by Market Segment, $m, 2011-2020
Figure 21: France Market Value Comparison by Market Segment, 2013 & 2020
Figure 22: France Average Selling Price by Market Segment, 2011-2020
Figure 23: Germany Market Value Forecast by Market Segment, $m, 2011-2020
Figure 24: Germany Market Value Comparison by Market Segment, 2013 & 2020
Figure 25: Germany Average Selling Price by Market Segment, 2011-2020
Figure 26: Italy Market Value Forecast by Market Segment, $m, 2011-2020
Figure 27: Italy Market Value Comparison by Market Segment, 2013 & 2020
Figure 28: Italy Average Selling Price by Market Segment, 2011-2020
Figure 29: Spain Market Value Forecast by Market Segment, $m, 2011-2020
Figure 30: Spain Market Value Comparison by Market Segment, 2013 & 2020
Figure 31: Spain Average Selling Price by Market Segment, 2011-2020
Figure 32: UK Market Value Forecast by Market Segment, $m, 2011-2020
Figure 34: UK Market Value Comparison By Market Segment, 2013 & 2020
Figure 35: UK Average Selling Price by Market Segment, 2011-2020
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.