Cigarettes in the UK, 2017
"Cigarettes in the UK, 2017" is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the UK market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
The UK duty-paid cigarette market is one of the larger markets in the European Union, but it has contracted considerably over the review period, largely because of tax hikes which have driven up UK cigarette prices to the highest in Europe by 2016. Duty paid sales have fallen from 99 billion pieces in 1990 to just 30.3 billion pieces in 2016, with much of the decline due to rising prices, mainly caused by a series of tax increases, coupled with a decline in smoking prevalence plus, more recently, a move to e-cigarettes.
- The UK market continues to be dominated by two manufacturers: Imperial Tobacco (now part of Imperial Brands) and JTI (UK) formerly Gallaher.
- Rising prices have created a highly price-sensitive environment.
- Duty paid sales volume is forecast to contract to just 19.5 billion pieces by 2025.
- This trend, however, is very much hostage to the parallel development of non-duty paid sales which are expected to begin increasing again as a result of government tax policy.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
Table of Contents
1. Overview 5
2. Market Size 7
3. Market Structure 19
4. Manufacturers & Brands 26
5. Taxation & Retail 38
Retail Prices 41
6. The Smoking Population 55
7. Production & Trade 62
8. Operating Constraints 73
Advertising Restrictions 73
Health Warnings/Labelling Requirements 74
9. Company Profiles 77
10. Prospects & Forecasts 80
11. Appendix 82
What is this Report About? 82
Time Frame 82
Product Category Coverage 82
About GlobalData 85
Contact Us 85
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology 83
Figure 2: Global Data at a glance 85
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.