Cigarettes in France, 2016
"Cigarettes in France, 2016" is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the French market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
France remains one of the larger cigarette markets in Western Europe, despite a substantial contraction in market volume since 1990. Demand contracted during the 1990s following tax, price increases, and rising consumer awareness. Further declined followed in 2003, after the government implemented a number of anti-smoking measures. Legitimate per capita consumption levels have more than halved since 1990, forecast to be 684 pieces/year in 2016.
- PMI is the leading supplier to the French market, with Imperial Tobacco in second place following its 2008 acquisition of Altadis.
- The principal change in recent years has been the demise of traditional dark cigarettes (plain or filter) in favor of filter blond cigarettes, so that blond variants now account for 96.7% of sales.
- Production has been falling due to both declining production for the home market and reduced export production.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
Table of Contents
1. Overview 5
2. Market Size 7
3. Market Structure 17
4. Manufacturers & Brands 25
5. Taxation & Retail 39
5.1. Taxation 39
5.2. Retail Prices 44
6. The Smoking Population 78
7. Production and Trade 83
7.1. Production 83
7.2. Imports 86
7.3. Exports 90
8. Operating Constraints 95
8.1. Advertising Restrictions 96
8.2. Health Warnings and Labeling Requirements 97
8.3. Other Restrictions 99
9. Company Profiles 101
10. Prospects & Forecasts 103
11. Appendix 106
11.1. What is this Report About? 106
11.2. Time Frame 107
11.3. Product Category Coverage 108
11.4. Methodology 109
11.5. About GlobalData 111
11.6. Disclaimer 112
11.7. Contact Us 113
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology 109
Figure 2: Global Data at a glance 111
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.