The market for liner hanger system is expected to witness a CAGR of more than 5.46% during the forecast period (2020-2025). Major factors driving the market studied are the rising unconventional and deepwater E&P activities, increasing need for higher productivity and efficiency, and the advantage of covering vast areas by a single rig employing long lateral drilling methods. The risk of failure associated with liner hanger systems and the challenges associated with the availability of raw materials are likely to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- With the revival of oil and gas prices and kick start of various offshore projects, the offshore segment is likely to register a higher growth rate, as compared to onshore. Moreover, greater degree of complexity in offshore oil and gas reserve formations is expected to push the companies to innovate and develop offshore specific liner hanger system.
- The development of deepwater and ultra-deepwater reserves are likely to act as an opportunity in the future.
- Asia-Pacific is expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period. China is by far the largest market in the Asia-Pacific region and is dominated by many local liner hanger system manufacturers unlike many other countries across the world.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Offshore Sector
- The offshore oil and gas industry accounts for about 30% of the global crude oil production. The Middle East, North Sea, Brazil, and the Gulf of Mexico are the major offshore oil and gas producing regions.
- As of 2017, around 40% of shallow water oil production came from mature regions, such as Europe, North America, and Asia-Pacific. The mechanical liner hangers are deployed in shallow waters, as they are relatively less expensive and technically less challenging for the operators to explore and drill. These systems are in high demand, where the well construction cost is the key priority for the customer.
- More than 60% of the current crude oil production comes from mature oilfields, including onshore and shallow water. This, coupled with low breakeven price in offshore oil and gas sector, has compelled the producers to shift to deepwater and ultra-deepwater resources. This factor is encouraging the industry to step up its expenditure gradually in the future.
- Deepwater oil production is majorly concentrated in four countries – Angola, Brazil, Nigeria, and the United States. The Libra field in Brazil, the largest pre-salt discovery so far, began producing in late 2017 and the field development is expected to continue till 2020s.
- The expandable liner hanger system is preferred for deepwater well completion and is designed for applications where long and heavy liners must be deployed in challenging environments, including deepwater, extended reach, and HP/HT wells.
- In September 2018, Halliburton announced the deployment of its XtremeGrip liner hanger system at a depth of 30,924 ft in the Gulf of Mexico Hess-operated Stampede deepwater development. With the advent of such deepwater liner hanger technologies, the market is likely to witness a shift from shallow water to deepwater production.
Asia-Pacific to Witness the Fastest Growth
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period, with China being by far the largest market. In response to President Xi Jinping’s call, in August 2017, to expedite domestic exploration and production activities (particularly for natural gas) to improve energy security, several companies, such as CNOOC, CNPC, and Sinopec, are set to increase their capital expenditure in exploration, development, and production activities. This will mean a significant boost to businesses for liner hanger systems, in the coming years.
- In addition, the Chinese government is also undertaking significant favorable reforms to boost international participation in the oil and gas sector. As a critical part of the country’s 13th five-year plan, the opening up of more acreage to independent participants is expected to diversify investments and increase drilling and completion activities, in turn, driving the liner hanger systems market in the country.
- Further, in India, large new field developments in deepwater are expected to be the key drivers for growth in the Indian liner hanger system market. In April 2018, BP and Reliance Industries sanctioned the 2nd phase development of the “Satellite cluster” project, located in the Bay of Bengal.
- The companies in India are moving forward to develop the discovered deepwater gas fields in an integrated series of projects, and are expecting to produce 1 bcf/d, phased over 2020-22. Similar interests are being undertaken in other offshore fields as well, which are expected to result in the country witnessing greater demand for the expandable form of liner hangers in the long run.
- Other developing markets, such as Indonesia, and Australia, are also expected to contribute to the market growth in the region.
The Liner hanger system market is moderately consolidated. The key companies include Halliburton Company, Schlumberger Limited, Weatherford International PLC, Drill Quip Inc., and Baker Hughes Company.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Scope of Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD million, till 2025
4.3 Global Onshore and Offshore Active Rig Count of Major Countries
4.4 Estimated Number of Liner Hanger System Used in 2018, by Region and US Basin
4.5 Onshore CAPEX Forecast in USD billion, till 2025
4.6 Offshore CAPEX Forecast in USD billion, by Region, till 2025
4.7 Historical and Forecast of Production from Deepwater, Oil Sands, and Tight Oil, till 2025
4.8 Brent Crude Oil and Henry Hub Spot Prices Forecast, till 2025
4.9 Key Upstream Projects for Investment Purposes
4.10 Recent Trends and Developments
4.11 Market Dynamics
4.12 Industry Supply Chain Analysis
4.13 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.13.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.13.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.13.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.13.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.13.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Conventional Liner Hangers
220.127.116.11 Mechanical Liner Hangers
18.104.22.168 Hydraulic Liner Hangers
5.1.2 Expandable Liner Hangers
5.2 Location of Deployment
5.3.1 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 Rest of North America
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
5.3.3 South America
220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
126.96.36.199 United Arab Emirates
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Halliburton Company
6.3.2 Schlumberger Limited
6.3.3 Weatherford International PLC
6.3.4 Baker Hughes Company
6.3.5 National Oilwell Varco Inc.
6.3.6 NCS Multistage LLC
6.3.7 Well Innovation AS
6.3.8 Innovex Downhole Solutions Inc.
6.3.9 Packers Plus Energy Services Inc.
6.3.10 Drill Quip Inc.
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.