The Display Panel Market was valued at USD 139.06 billion in 2020 is expected to reach USD 178.20 billion by 2026 at a CAGR of 4.2% over the forecast period 2021 - 2026. Display technologies have evolved over the years, aided by technological developments, to offer higher resolution and lower power consumption. The developments in nanoparticles and transparent sensors in the electronic circuit have boosted the progression of the transparent display market. In the present scenario, development is progressing on the replacement of hard square panels, with flexible displays that are more interactive to the consumer. This is expected to provide a substantial opportunity for the growth of the transparent display market.
- The display market is driven by the growing demand for enhanced displays, such as OLED and PMOLED, augmented displays, and roll-able transparent displays, among others. OLED technology enables bright, efficient, and thin displays and lighting panels. They are currently used in numerous mobile devices, some TVs, and lighting fixtures. OLED displays provide a better image quality compared to that of LCD or Plasma displays - and can also be made transparent and flexible.
- Moreover, a significant application area of displays has been the heads-up display devices. These devices have witnessed strong demand from AR/VR, military and defense, and automotive markets, thereby driving the market for display panels. A device with a transparent display has much higher resolution and displays much more realistic augmented reality than video augmented reality.
- According to a study by Intel Corporation, the revenue opportunity of the AR/VR market remains strong and is estimated to exceed USD 45 billion in headset hardware sales by 2021. Furthermore, the hardware is expected to exceed 80 billion units by 2021, up significantly from the 9.4 billion units that were estimated to be sold in the intervening period.
- Out of the hardware sales, head-mounted displays dominated the market. This is a result of the rising demand for higher-quality HMDs to support the on-going demand for high-quality content and functionality improvements, as well as to provide an improved immersive experience to consumers, which can be achieved through transparent displays. This is expected to drive the market.
- DriveAR platform from Nvidia uses a dashboard-mounted display overlaying graphics based on camera footage, around the car, using a transparent display. This system points out everything from hazards to historic landmarks along the way. Following the success of the platform, automotive manufacturing giants like Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Tesla, Toyota, and Volvo have signed up with the company, to work with the technology.
- Then the emergence of thinner displays and foldable displays has created strong interest among the consumers and therefore is expected to draw investments from the manufacturers in the technology . For instance, foldable smartphones released in 2019 include the Samsung Galaxy Fold and Motorola Razr.
- On the display production front, panel production has been impacted by the coronavirus outbreak. For instance, China Star Optoelectronics Technology (CSTO) with plants in Wuhan, announced in February 2020, to reduce the production to half. Then, expansion plans scheduled in the first half of 2020 for Chinese Gen 8.6 and Gen 10.5 LCD factories were pushed further due to the pandemic outbreak. Also, the interruptions to equipment set-up, travel restrictions, and lack of workforce have led to a timeline to fall behind by two to four months.
Key Market Trends
OLED Type of Display Panel to Hold a Dominant Position
- OLEDs are expected to replace existing technologies in the display ecosystem. Owing to this, many vendors started investing heavily in R&D related to OLED. OLED transparent displays are penetrating in the market due to increasing demand for these displays from head-mounted display (HMD) vendors.
- Display panel vendors are keeping up with the demand and are launching newer OLED displays. For instance, as of April 2020, LG Display technology will make OLED panels see-through when they are switched on. This leads to several additional applications like shop windows and offices to depict a superior user experience.
- In August 2019, Samsung shared plans to commence production of QD-OLED production in the near future by converting its 8.5-Gen LCD lines in Asan, Korea.
- Moreover, the companies are also pitching the use of transparent display in the aviation sector. For instance, in December 2019, LG Display’s organic light-emitting diode (OLED) panels were deployed in Boeing’s next-generation aircraft, expanding its flexible panel beyond automotive.
- The consumer electronics market is largely driven by smartphones as an application . A recent report from Mizuho Securities, In 2019, estimates the growth of OLED displays for smartphones and feature phones. Mizuho forecasts the OLED penetration to reach 29 % of the display market, growing to 80 % by 2026.
- Smart phone vendor launches further validate the expected trend. For instance, in February 2020 , Huawei launched its Mate XS foldable smartphone with back -to -back screens . All these phones have been developed due to developments in flexible OLED . These OLEDs are based on a flexible substrate, which can be either plastic, metal, or flexible glass .
India is Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- Consumer spending in India is increasing, due to rising disposable income, due to which the demand for televisions is witnessing a high spike, owing to the rising soccer fan base in India. As a result, the TV makers in India are launching larger screens with advanced technologies, which, in turn, is likely to boost the market growth in the country over the forecast period.
- Owing to the favorable government regulations associated with FDI, foreign companies are regularly offering premium TVs at competitive prices. For instance, in April 2020, LG Display is gearing up to launch its transparent OLED screen as per reports of GizmoChina, which will come in 55-inch size and have full-HD displays that are 40 percent transparent.
- Furthermore, the changing behavior in TV connection is expected to drive the market growth. Subscriptions, such as Netflix and Amazon Prime, have been made available for Smart and Android TVs, owing to which, the demand is gaining high traction, thereby, propelling the market growth.
- Also, Samsung is setting up India's first smartphone display manufacturing unit on the outskirts of Delhi. The South Korean company is investing more than Rs 3,500 crore in this facility in Noida, as per a regulatory filing with the Registrar of Companies (RoC). The plant would produce displays of mobile phones and IT display and could later extend it to laptops and televisions.
The display panel market is a competitive market. Gaining a sustainable competitive edge through innovation is a major trend that has been leveraged by leading players, particularly in the high potential markets. This trend intensifies the competitive rivalry in the market. Brand identity plays a crucial role in shaping the competition in the market, with large and established players attaining a significant advantage over the new entrants and regional players. The high degree of transparency, especially in the conventional displays segment, results in similar products being available in the market, and thus, a high degree of competition.
- Jan 2020 -Panasonic Corporation delivered a wide range of display equipment to the National Stadium operation. The portfolio included large screen displays and approximately 600 digital signage systems.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Assumptions? and Market Definition?
1.2 Scope of the Study?
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Increasing Demand for UHD Display Panels for TVs
4.2.2 Increasing Demand in the Consumer Electronics Market
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Expensive Deployments in Consumer Products
4.4 Industry Attractiveness- Porters Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.5 Value Chain Analysis
4.6 Assessment on COVID-19 Impact on the Industry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Type of Display
5.1.3 Other Type of Displays (AMOLED, MicroLED, etc.)
5.2 By Resolution
5.2.3 HD (HD, WQHD, and FHD)
5.3 By Application
5.3.1 Smartphones and Tablets
5.3.2 PC and Laptop
5.3.4 Other Applications
5.4.1 North America
5.4.4 Latin America
5.4.5 Middle East & Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 AU Optronics Corporatio
6.1.2 BOE Japan Co. Ltd
6.1.3 Innolux Corporation
6.1.4 LG Display Co. Ltd
6.1.5 Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd
6.1.6 Panasonic Corporation
6.1.7 Sharp Corporation
6.1.8 Hisense Co. Ltd
6.1.9 Toshiba Corporation
6.1.10 Sony Corporation
6.1.11 Japan Display Inc.
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.