The Middle-East and African paper and paperboard market is expected to register a CAGR of 4% over the forecast period (2020 - 2025).
The paper and forest-products industry is experiencing growth, but at a slower pace, as compared to before as other products are filling the gaps left by the graphic paper market, with the packaging industry gaining momentum in leveraging its eco-friendly material, along with tissue papers and pulp for hygiene products.
Although the market within the Middle-East and African region is relatively small, the vendors in the region leverage each other by the means of imports and exports and are constantly looking for new applications and use for wood and its components. For instance, according to the United Nation Comtrade database, the United Arab Emirates accounted USD 12.26 million in 2018, for the import of paper and paperboard from Kuwait.
As with the food and beverage industry, with the growth of health-conscious consumers opting to grocery delivery services and meal kits, there has been a significant gain in the trend of take out choices by food suppliers. This has evidently impacted the food delivery vendors and the environmental safety to consider paper-based packaging options.
For instance, fast food chains with restaurants across the world, such as McDonald, are capitalizing on the popularity of eco-friendly food packaging options, thereby, levering the growth of the market.
Additionally, with the increase of e-commerce, technological advancements may foster the growth of transport and industrial packaging. Owing to promising future aspects of the market, both domestic and foreign investors within the paper-based industries are looking to strengthen their business in the region and uplight the product capacity.
Moreover, with the recent outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic and declaration of nationwide lockdown in major countries in the Middle-East and African region, from March 2020, has led people to stockpile emergency supplies, causing a surge demand for products, such as disposable surgical masks, tissue, sanitary wipes, toiler paper, and other paper-based hygiene products.
Key Market Trends
Container Board to Witness the Fastest Market Growth
- Consumer good manufacturers in the region are opting to eco-friendly packaging materials, as they support sustainability. The corrugated boxes manufactured with containerboard maintain their sustainable form of packaging and serve as an eco-friendly option.
- Since the corrugated boxes are made of recyclable material, they help manufacturers to reduce the environmental cost and also comply with several industrial standards and government regulations, including Federal Environment Agency ( FEA) and Environment Agency-Abu Dhabi (EAD).
- Furthermore, countries across the region, including the United Arab Emirates, are experiencing key development in sustainability, with consumers and companies becoming complaints to zero waste, boost the growth of the market.
- Additionally, the increasing incomes of consumers led them to opt for premium products, thereby, raising the demand for premium packaging for consumer products, such as cosmetics and skincare, together with the presence of major supermarkets, such as LULU Group, remains the main channel for the distribution of premium products across the region.
Processed Food to Witness the Fastest Market Growth
- Advancements in quality and accessibility of digital printing on paperboard enabled processed food manufacturers of all sizes to leverage the paperboard packaging, as printing large quantities of paperboard packaging without a constant change of graphic/coat is cost-effective
- The land and ocean litters, associated with foodservice packaging of alternative sources, leverage the adoption of recyclable single-serve paperboard packaging, as it holds the potential to consume less resources than non-recycle packaging materials, such as plastic.
- For instance, in June 2019, the Board of Directors of the Saudi Standards, Metrology and Quality Organization (SASO) standardized new regulation, which states that products and packaging, made with polyethylene, must be made up of approved oxo-biodegradable material and the supplier has to be approved by the Saudi government.
- However, the inherent property of paperboard, to nurture odors and flavors, acts as a restraint to the market. Moreover, the presence of many substitute biodegradable packaging material halt the growth of the market.
The Middle-East and African paper and paperboard market is moderately fragmented. It consists several major players, owing to similar portfolio offerings, accounting as the threat of substitutes. Vendors with a focus toward sustainability are enhancing the product line, leveraging strategic collaborative initiatives and acquisitions as a competitive advantage, to further expand their customer base and gain market share.
- December 2019 - United Carton Industries Company, based in Saudi Arabia, announced its achievement for its corrugated packaging operations, with the installation of Nozomi C1800, a single-pass, six-color LED inkjet printer developed by electronics for Imaging Inc. The print offers three modes, in order to optimize the ink consumption and print quality. It allows photo mode matching with 90% PANTONE Colors in six variations, with no limit on ink consumption. This allows the company to enter new markets, as it strategically uses it as a competitive advantage.
- October 2019 - Hotpack Packaging Industries LLC, based in the United Arab Emirates, announced that it has been awarded ISO 22000 ( Food Safety) and HACCP ( Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) by the United Registrar of Systems (URS) ME. The company leverages these certifications to showcase its commitment, in order to produce safe and quality products.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
4.5 Value Chain/Supply Chain Analysis
4.6 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.7 Assessment of Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION ( PAPER)
5.1 By Type
5.1.1 Printing and Writing
5.1.6 Other Types
5.2 By Country
5.2.1 United Arab Emirates
5.2.2 Saudi Arabia
5.2.10 Rest of the Middle-East and Africa
6 MARKET SEGMENTATION ( CORRUGATED PACKAGING)
6.1 By End-user Industry
6.1.1 Processed Foods
6.1.2 Fresh Food and Produces
6.1.4 Paper Products
6.1.5 Electrical Products
6.1.6 Other End-user Industries
6.2 By Country
6.2.1 United Arab Emirates
6.2.2 Saudi Arabia
6.2.4 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
7 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Vendor Market Share
7.2 Mergers and Acquisitions
7.3 Company Profiles
7.3.2 Arabian Packaging Co. LLC
7.3.3 United Carton Industries Company (UCIC)
7.3.4 Tarboosh Packaging Co. LLC
7.3.5 Hotpack Packaging Industries LLC
7.3.6 International Paper
7.3.7 Al Rumanah Packaging
7.3.8 Green Packaging Boxes Ind LLC
7.3.9 Matco Packaging LLC
7.3.10 Global Carton Boxes Manufacturing LLC
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.