The Italy oil and gas downstream market is expected to register a CAGR of less than 1.0% during the forecast period of 2020–2025. Factors, such as increasing production of oil, are expected to boost the need for the Italian oil and gas downstream market during the forecast period. However, competition from refineries around the world, especially China, led to a slowdown in the sector, with many refineries not able to utilize full capacity.
- The refinery capacity in the country remained stagnant during the 2015-2018 period. Most of the country depends on oil and gas for its primary energy source. Investment in the sector may lead to growth in the industry.
- Italy has a proven gas reserve of around 1.6 trillion cubic feet of natural gas and 0.4 thousand million metric ton of crude oil, as of 2018. Exploration and production of fossil fuel may lead to a boom for the downstream industry as the transportation cost of oil imports would reduce.
- Oil production is expected to drive the market during the forecast period. The country depends primarily on imports for the supply of fossil fuels to meet the required energy consumption in the country.
Key Market Trends
Oil Refining Capacity to Dominate the Market
- In Italy, the capacity of the refineries remained stagnant, over the period of 2015-2018, at 1,900 thousand barrels per day, in 2018. The size remained unchanged because no expansion or construction of refineries has taken place.
- The acquisition of Augusta refinery from ExxonMobil subsidiary by the Sonatrach, in 2019 is expected to reinforce the refining system of Sonatrach with an additional refining capacity of 10 million metric ton per year of refining and storage capacity.
- In the period between 2010 and 2018, the number of refineries situated in Italy decreased gradually from 16 to 11 refineries. The substandard refineries usually lost out to the international competition, especially due to the refineries in Asia.
- In Italy, natural gas production decreased by 1.6% to 4.46 million metric ton of oil equivalent (Mtoe) in 2018 from 4.53 Mtoe in 2017. Consumption of natural gas decreases to 59.5 million metric ton of oil equivalent (Mtoe) in 2018 from 61.5 Mtoe in 2017. Decreasing demand for gas and a decrease in production are restraining the growth in the market.
- The Italy refinery capacity is expected to remain stagnant during the forecast period due to international competition and little investment in the expansion and construction of refineries.
Increasing Oil Production to Drive the Market
- In Italy, oil production increased by 12.9% to 4.7 million metric ton of oil equivalent (Mtoe) in 2018 from 4.1 Mtoe in 2017. Consumption of oil decreased to 59.0 million metric ton of oil equivalent (Mtoe) in 2018 from 60.2 Mtoe in 2017. The increasing production of oil is boosting the growth of the market.
- Italy is heavily dependent upon other countries for its oil and gas. In 2018, most of Italy’s natural gas imports came from Russia through pipelines across Ukraine and from Southeastern Europe. Natural gas sent by pipeline from Russia accounted for about 45% of Italy’s total natural gas imports in 2018.
- In 2018, the largest refinery in the country was the Sarpom Trecate, Novara Refinery owned mostly by Esso Italiana Srl, a subsidiary of Exxon Mobil Corporation. It has a capacity of 200,000 barrels per day.
- Hence, the Italian oil and gas downstream market is expected to increase slightly over the forecast period due to an increase in the production of oil.
The Italian oil and gas downstream market is consolidated. The major companies include Esso Italiana Srl, Eni SPA, PJSC Lukoil Oil Company, Total SA, and Anonima Petroli Italiana.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Refining Capacity Installed and Forecast, in thousand barrels per day, until 2025
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 PESTLE ANALYSIS
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
188.8.131.52 Existing Infrastructure
184.108.40.206 Projects in Pipeline
220.127.116.11 Upcoming Projects
5.2 Petrochemicals Plants
18.104.22.168 Existing Infrastructure
22.214.171.124 Projects in Pipeline
126.96.36.199 Upcoming Projects
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Esso Italiana Srl
6.3.2 Eni SPA
6.3.3 PJSC Lukoil Oil Company
6.3.4 Anonima Petroli Italiana
6.3.5 Total SA
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.